• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's life like flying for ATI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA has no business dropping by just yet - they don't represent us. Unfortunately, neither do the good folks at IBT 747, which we currently pay to represent us.:rolleyes: We should know very shortly (like in the next few days...) how this is going to play out, but we're confident in the expected outcome.

Pilotpm, CaptZ, and everyone else in class, I'll apologize for our entire group that we haven't had anyone contact you. I'm not an EXCO member, but I'll let them know. There are some protocols involved that may be driving the timing, which is my lame attempt at an excuse.

Our message board is internal and requires approval for entry, and a user name and password. By the way, when you do sign up for it, we use our real name or something close to it! We also don't tend to pull any punches. As I said, it's an internal board, no public access, and we don't hide behind the monikers like you see here and on other public or semi-public boards. I'll let the administrator know you all are looking to join up. I don't know off hand if there's an informal policy regarding when you can sign up for membership (it's free, by the way - supported by crew member donation), but we'll get on it.

Look for ALPA to represent ATI on Nov. 4th @ 1405est. As of now we are still IBT, but we expect around 90%+ to vote to toss the IBT to the curb.

You will have 90 days as I understand it, to sign up for ALPA, there will be no "Initiation" fee if you sign up within that time. If you are a previous ALPA member, you will keep your ALPA number. If you left a previous ALPA carrier and owed dues, it is my understanding you must pay back dues to be a member in good standing. Call ALPA and check your status!

As far as the website goes.... We are a pretty tight group here, we have "family" squabbles just like any small company, but we seem to get over it and move on. As 707 said when you get on our internal site, we pull no punches and we use our real names (you will be called out, and "outed" if you do not). And you must be a bit thick skinned, or do not bother signing up, no sissy's here you might say! We pretty much say what we feel, and if someone is out of line we handle it amongst our selves 99% of the time.

Welcome aboard, the next few months will be a very interesting time here, with new representation and new contract negotiations on the very near horizon!

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone hired! Glad to see some movement in this industry! Anyone know when or if the next application window will be opening?

Here's a rather general question.

I am not too familiar with the cargo/freight side of the business but it does intrigue me. Understanding that schedules change and nothing is ever set in stone, can someone provide a rough guide of what a "typical" week would look like for a mid-level FO at ATI? Let's assume domestic flying and no ad-hoc charter. Let's say you are on the 16/12 schedule. How many sectors? Night vs. day flying. What does an "average" week look like for you (domestic)?

Sorry if this is too vague or unrealistic. Just trying to get a sense for the type of flying done.

...also curious where new-hire ground school is being held. While I was there it was held up in Dayton Ohio using the DC8 sim that Aeroservices set up for Emery. Is that still the case ?

PHXFLYR

...also curious where new-hire ground school is being held. While I was there it was held up in Dayton Ohio using the DC8 sim that Aeroservices set up for Emery. Is that still the case ?

PHXFLYR

I think they moved DC-8 training to CVG.

Thanks gang! I'm darn glad to be here! I have sent my particulars to the contact person on the ATI BB. Thanks to all who sent me the info.

Multiple answers for multiple questions:

Jrod - our scheduled domestic lines are built in varying lengths. Some start at out stations (LRD, SJC, DFW, PDX), others start in the hub in TOL. None of the domestic lines are built such that you are out 16 days straight followed by 12 off. The LRD and DFW lines for instance start Monday night in DFW, weekend in LRD, and end in DFW the following Friday, so you're out 12 days. Three more are spent doing a single LRD-TOL-DFW, lay over, then DFW-TOL-LRD two-day trip and you go home, and there's one similar trip that extends into the next bid unit. Historically, we've always had two bid units paired together for one 56-day bid cycle. A cycle can consist of one or three bid units as well, but I don't recall those options ever being exercised. Obviously, if you live near either DFW or LRD, you may be interested in those lines. Of course, seniority will dictate whether you get them. LAX lines start/stop in TOL, and are the closest we have to week on/week off, along with scheduled reserve and TOL reserve lines. Some reserve days are built into those LAX lines to make 16 days on. Some lines do not have you on a full 16 days total. Some might have you on 14 days one unit and 17 in the other, but the average has to be no more than 16 on over a cycle. BAX doesn't have any day flying that we do, except a few PDX and LAX trips on the weekend. You're generally at the hub for about three hours or so (roughly 2:30 a.m. to 5:30 or 6) if you're transiting.

PHX, all pilot training and interviewing is done in CVG now (FA's were in MIA for the last class). The DAY facility is no longer used for anything, other than maybe some pubs.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone hired! Glad to see some movement in this industry! Anyone know when or if the next application window will be opening?

Rumor has it another 20+ will be hired in Jan 2010. Look a couple times a week at the Co, website. The typically do not tell the crews ahead of time when it's going to open. My understanding was we had nearly 1000 apps the last window. So keep an eye open.

Latest resources

Back