• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's hard to fly, what's easy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anybody who misses the EMB 120 has a major screw loose.

Let me remind you of your fine old friend. Remember those hot days in August and the packs are spitting out warm air as you sit in the cockpit and bake alive in the sun. How about those 15 hour duty days and all the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** vibration and noise. Remember eating a whole bottle of asprin to get rid of that Brasilia headache ?

You think the electrical system was bad how about that nightmare of a prop system ??

Send that thing to the boneyard.

Ya know, I had forgotten about those sweltering days in the Brakillya...THANKS! I do recall cancelling 2 flights a few summers ago out of ORD due to crew overheating problems. When you literally have sweat pouring off you and running into your eyes and no galley to get ice from (a few of the Lakes Brasilias did not/do not have galleys...They may have pulled them all by now), you are not mentally capable of functioning at 110%. How is it that the packs can be nice and cold (due to them freezing up) but we just get hot air (cue sounds of whiny, sweaty, tired pilots). On the other hand, one of our Brakillyas had such good packs that it would blow snow even on the hottest days (literally....ice particles would blow out the vents....I know, I know...bad for the packs). All in all though, once you got up to cruise it cooled off and it was a fun and responsive plane.

I've flown a wide variety of aircraft, but 2 definitely stand out: the deHavilland Dash 7 - nothing was more fun than some of those MLS and STOL approaches we flew in the mountains of Colorado and Alaska; and the B757 - a very nice airplane, great performance....like UPS Capt said, a joy to fly.

ahhh... the bradildo.

rjcap... i might have a screw loose. i miss flying the bradildo at times. granted, it baked you in the summer, but the ECS system is not one to brag about on the rj. even in manual it's a pain in the ass and requires constant attention.

hell, my car has a better temperature control system on it. -sr.

DHC-6 Twin Otter is a very easy airplane to fly. I think the Duchess I was flying before was actually more difficult to handle. Great airplane as long as your aren't in a hurry to go anywhere. I can hover given the correct circumstances!

Smoove,

You definitely have a screw loose.

Your telling me you would rather bake in the Brakila then hit the manual ECS control and adjust the temp in the CRJ ?

Yeah, I really hate having the cockpit too cold in August. I might need to bring a sweater next time !

AWACoff,

The situation you describe is everyday in the 1900. I'm sure the same goes for the J32 and Metroliner as well. Bake in the summer, freeze in the winter. Remember the DVL crews that did their runups in ski clothing? That said, I did stop taking planes with inop VCM's on those hot DEN days-I would do the same now especially if I had to do their PHX runs. It's funny that their isn't an airplane from the 172 to the 777 where the pilots are totally satisfied with the air conditioning system! Which reminds me, the 737 sucks in the summer when your on the ramp on a hot day with the pits open. The only way to get cool air from the APU is to turn off the Recirc fan and let the supply duct temparature drop, but then you get minimal airflow. I think I'm just going to stay home.:)

:D CRJ-SWEEEEET, easiest ever. 1200hrs.+

:p EMB- sweeeet, great a/c + all the bugs you could imagine, 1500hrs.+

:eek: J-32- hardest yet, this a/c will make you work harder, for every nm
flown than any other type, but in a strange perverse way the most
satisfying plane yet. kinda like a hard workout.

Give me a break here, guys! These posts are like bad poetry. One guy describes an airplane as 'handling like a wet buffalo in the mud', another misses one airplane 'like an old friend', and then we have Avbug. I only wish I were as sh!t hot and could say no airplanes are hard to fly. I have flown 20-series Lears, and they suck.

Now for my 2 cents-
I thought the Citation II had good characteristics, considering was its made to do. The Falcon 20 is quite underpowered with the original engines, but has the best flying qualities and predictability I've seen. The Lear 20s will certainly put a smile on your face with unbelievable climb rates, but they're old and way too small for those of us in the 6 ft height range. The 717 is really cool with all the new bells and whistles and great air conditioning.

Latest resources

Back