Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

whats going on with nasa and a asteroid?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

@irboss

I love to see sunset CB
I saw on the news this morning that they are launching something to hit a asteroid tonight or tomorow in the am, it will be visible in the west coast, could it be that this is a threat to earth and they just wont say so that people wont panic. or is it just a test. anyone have any info?

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/deepimpact/media/deepimpact-070205.html

Deep Impact Status Report

One hundred and seventy-one days into its 172-day journey to comet Tempel 1, NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft successfully released its impactor at 11:07 p.m. Saturday, Pacific Daylight Time (2:07 a.m. Sunday, Eastern Daylight Time).

At release, the impactor was about 880,000 kilometers (547,000 miles) away from its quarry. The separation of flyby spacecraft and the washing-machine-sized, copper-fortified impactor is one in a series of important mission milestones that will cap off with a planned encounter with the comet at 10:52 p.m. Sunday, PDT (1:52 a.m. on July 4, EDT).

@irboss said:
maybe will all die tonight........ :eek: :( ...

I thought we were all supposed to die from the 2012 asteroid? Or maybe it was the peak oil doom? I can't keep track of all these doomsday things anymore - we're screwed!!

Yep I knew of that 2012 ast. also but I dont get it why they just now in the last moment talk about this new comet, why they didnt say something before, at least I never heard nothing till now.

@irboss said:
Yep I knew of that 2012 ast. also but I dont get it why they just now in the last moment talk about this new comet, why they didnt say something before, at least I never heard nothing till now.

I heard about it a few months ago in Aviation Week. I think this it the deep strike mission where they are basically hammering into the comet (or asteroid) with a satellite. Initially there were some concerns about the asteroid shattering and threatening Earth, but the Nasa engineers determined this was not a possibility. A fairly interesting mission actually, I wish I could recall the details better.

I hear the Mayan calendar also ends in 2012.

wrxpilot said:
I heard about it a few months ago in Aviation Week. I think this it the deep strike mission where they are basically hammering into the comet (or asteroid) with a satellite. Initially there were some concerns about the asteroid shattering and threatening Earth, but the Nasa engineers determined this was not a possibility. A fairly interesting mission actually, I wish I could recall the details better.

I hear the Mayan calendar also ends in 2012.

Tempel 1 is a comet about the size of Manhattan, and its orbit is pretty far from Earth's.
By impacting a probe into the comet's surface and filming the result, we can discern whether the comet is a sort of soft 'snow cone' or a harder 'ice cube'. Since comets are thought to be made of the basic ingredients of the universe, scientists can make better guesses as to the origins of the universe.

wrxpilot said:
Initially there were some concerns about the asteroid shattering and threatening Earth, but the Nasa engineers determined this was not a possibility.
And NASA engineers have *never* made a mistake before. :eek: :D

In about 3.0 hours this comet is going to explode into a gazillion pieces might be something to stay up for.

Latest resources

Back