Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's going on at AA re: furlough recalls?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can probably expect massive furloughs at AA this fall. The company is being quiet about it to keep sick time usage down for the summer. After that, there will be at least 1,000 out the door. Wish it wasn't so, but it's coming.

You can probably expect massive furloughs at AA this fall. The company is being quiet about it to keep sick time usage down for the summer. After that, there will be at least 1,000 out the door. Wish it wasn't so, but it's coming.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner, IMO. TC

P.S.--I'm being proactive and burning all my sick leave anyway! :p

pure speculation... 60 aircraft to be parked replaced by 36 new 737's equals a net loss of 24 jets at 10 pilots per jet 240 fewer pilots. but oh wait we were already short 167 pilots going into the summer. difference? 73 fewer pilots needed. not even close to 1000 furloughs...IMO

AA retirees can take lump sums and almost 100% do. You'd be crazy not to. If AA does even hint at BK, you can bet that there will be upwards of a thousand pilots bail. Arpey knows that. That would put the company in a real training bind, and deservedly so.

Any thoughts that they might follow Delta's lead and allow retired guys to stick around for a limited time? Getting rid of them doesn't really help much because everyone ready to upgrade is way over 12 years, so they'd just be replacing one max pay guy for another. Then you add the training costs and shortfalls...you're right, could be ugly.

Now I'm getting this info from APC - their info usually seems fairly accurate and up to date - so assuming it is correct...

They've announced parking of 40 to 45 mainline aircraft through the end of 2009 - mainly 80's and A 300's.

However I show their order schedule as 34 737's in 2009 and 36 in 2010 (and I believe they just recently accelerated these orders to the current numbers.) Now, we all know orders can be canceled or deffered (or aircraft retirements could be accelerated further,) but right now that hasn't been announced.

Maybe my math is fuzzy, but I'm showing a net gain of 25 aircraft by the end of 2010 (again as it stands right now.)

Those 73's (34 in 09, 36 in 10) are coming on the property at a rate of 3 a month starting in Jan 09. This may change ( If they could come tomorrow AA would like them too) but that is the latest info that I have.
I have NOT seen it written where the S80's and Airbus's are being phased out over 09 like Razor states. The feeling is that the intial reduction will happen quickly, perhaps 20-25 a/c by years end. then the 73's will come if not sooner and replace exiting s80's.
The problem lies in just where the company goes from here and when and how the plan to reduce even further the number of 80 a/c. Ideally a 1 for 1 would be the best but logic and efficiency states that 1 to 1 1/2 73's for every 2 80's is more likely.
Having said all of this, furloughs may happen but at a slower pace or they mey not happen at all with the possibility of retirements and the training needed to fullfill the oncoming 73's.
Let's see which way the company plays thier hand.

Keep a watchful eye for early to mid Septmeber. Thier actions may tell which way they are leaning.

First person hired off the street, whenever that is, will be #1 on the seniority list for a minimum of ten years.

Latest resources

Back