• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

what's a sub 1500TT Lakes dude to do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was referring to long range cruise in a tri-pacer, in terms of skills built. There is a limit to what VFR XC can teach you beyond a certain point. The glider time would be a nice add, though.

How about stop the buy your own airplane BS. Get paid to fly, CFI, Banner tow ect. Do not buy an airplane!!!!

Some advice I received years ago from my father and finally have accepted. Don't buy anything you can rent. The cruder version I have heard also, "if it floats, flys, or ..." . I am even at the point that if I hit the giant power ball I would lease a yacht for a year with the crew then walk away. If I had millions I would still not buy. I have never bought a plane, but I did the sailboat thing. The happiest day is when you buy the boat and the day you sell the boat.

There is more than one way to accomplish your goals.
I have bought a few airplanes. The best day was when I sold them for several thousands in profit. AND I was able to fly them for a while and enjoy the time I had with them. Would you pass up the oppourinity to buy a yacht for 1/2 it's value enjoy it for a year and then sell it?

Glider time is a fixed wing aircraft, and yes it counts. I had 600 hrs of glider when I got my ATP with 1500 hrs total (oh, and you can do cross country in a glider as well). Your statement of serving no purpose, I would have to strongly disagree. If you or anyone needs the total time I would suggest that going for your glider add on rating and seeing if you have the skill to stay aloft and build time would serve a great purpose. I guarantee you will be an far better pilot after the experience.

You can also fly a lot higher than any airliner. Just need to find a big wave. Do a loop or two on your way down, too. Maybe a hammerhead for good measure.

hollywood82 said:
You could flight instruct or fly 135 like the rest of us had to.

One bitter dude. You should do something else for a living. Life's too short.

How does that make him bitter? I've been watching this thread with great interest, and I don't see what the big fuss is about. I see a lot of entitlement mentality. The FAA has changed the rules and like it or not you"ll have to live by them.

I did the CFII MEI thing and busted my ass at it. Still didn't have the time I needed so I drove 700 miles to a place where I could build lots of MEI time and fly fire patrols in 150's while I was at it. 8.0 in a 150 at 1000 AGL was pure misery but the logbook got fatter and fatter. I could have easily stopped midstream and got on at a regional but that wasn't what I wanted to do. I wanted to fly corporate. So rather than go for the Big shiny jet I drove another 900 miles to take a gig flying checks in 310's and Barons. Built some quick time there and impressed the boss enough that i got tapped for a BE20 slot. Built a ton of TPIC and great experience that I took into my next job managing a twin turboprop for a wealthy doctor. Spent two years there learning the admin side. Even bought and sold a plane for him in the process. All this time I had been networking at my dream job. Last year it all paid off. Went from a 30yr old turboprop to a Hawker and two brand new Challenger 300's.

My way is not the only way by any stretch and a lot of it had to do with luck. But most of it is a direct result of hard work and good references. There are still ways to get the time and get paid while doing it. It just takes sacrifice and hard work. I enjoyed every minute of it (except the fire patrols) and wouldn't change a thing. Every pilot out there who is in a tough spot can get out. The next job may not be the brass ring but it is one step closer if you play your cards right.

If a major is where you want to be then get your ass in gear and build that 1500 any way you can. Go to the best regional you can and work your ass off. Don't complain about the conditions unless you're willing to change them. It's just a stepping stone to your ultimate goal. People will notice. Eventually that hard work will pay off.

Rant over

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back