• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

what's a sub 1500TT Lakes dude to do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is a prewar Cheif on Barnstormers for 11,500.

So if you flew off 500 hours in it, and then GAVE it away, your equity cost would only be $23 per hour.

Of course there is fuel, maintenance, and insurance, but the idea remains the same.

A quick check of airnav showed a bunch of fuel prices around $6 per gallon. Let's assume 5 gph.

So $30 per hour. Insurance, I got no idea. $3000 per year, maybe?

Maintenance? Another $25 per hour?

So if you flew off 500 hours in it, and then GAVE it away, your equity cost would only be $23 per hour.

Of course there is fuel, maintenance, and insurance, but the idea remains the same.

On the cheap.

A quick check of airnav showed a bunch of fuel prices around $6 per gallon. Let's assume 5 gph.

Auto gas. Five per hour (73 octane min) $18

So $30 per hour. Insurance, I got no idea. $3000 per year, maybe?

What? Just don't bend it. No need for insurance. $0

Maintenance? Another $25 per hour?

Pfft. Do your own oil changes and save the annual for when you sell it. I did owner assisted annuals for $75. $1 per hour.

$44 per hour and that's if you give it away at the end.

Ok I just did a tailwheel endorsement for a guy that just purchased a 46 11CC a 85 hp Cheif. His insurance was $1064. $450 for liability and the balance for hull. He pays 45 a month to tie it down. (he is hangar hunting.) it burned 5 GPH while doing takeoffs and landings. He has a auto gas STC so it was all non-oxygenated fuel at $4.20. Came with a fresh annual. A continental A65 will burn 3 GPH if you fly slow. 4.20 x 3 = $12.60 hr. Oil changes are super easy and should be owner completed. 4 quarts is max but it seems like they always puke out oil until 3.5. So 3.5 x 8 = $28. Should change every 25hrs if you are running screens, but 50hrs is ok. So about a dollar an hour.

Sim time counts toward total time. Why doesn't lakes just put these 1450TT guys in a frasca for 50 hours an put them back out online?

Scott

How much of the ATP 1500 hours can be logged in a glider? I could see a small group of aspiring pilots (with rich parents) getting hold of an old Tri-Pacer or something, without so much as any IFR instruments or working comm radios and basing it at some remote strip out in the sticks and let them do touch and goes or fly around at long range cruise until they have the time. Serving no purpose whatsoever, of course.
Glider time is a fixed wing aircraft, and yes it counts. I had 600 hrs of glider when I got my ATP with 1500 hrs total (oh, and you can do cross country in a glider as well). Your statement of serving no purpose, I would have to strongly disagree. If you or anyone needs the total time I would suggest that going for your glider add on rating and seeing if you have the skill to stay aloft and build time would serve a great purpose. I guarantee you will be an far better pilot after the experience.

To expand on this.. God forbid some of you kids fly a plane with no radios or IFR equipment, you would actually have to look out the window, fly and figure out where you are. Captains or past Captains, how many of this "new generation" get behind (on close approach on a VFR day) the plane as they are scrambling to type on the FMS or make adjustments via the autopilot. I would tell them to hit the disconnect and fly, that will fix it. Some of the responses, wow. Then turn off their director and tell them to fly.

To expand on this.. God forbid some of you kids fly a plane with no radios or IFR equipment, you would actually have to look out the window, fly and figure out where you are. Captains or past Captains, how many of this "new generation" get behind (on close approach on a VFR day) the plane as they are scrambling to type on the FMS or make adjustments via the autopilot. I would tell them to hit the disconnect and fly, that will fix it. Some of the responses, wow. Then turn off their director and tell them to fly.

+1 big time.

If I were king, EVERY private pilot would need to make a single solo glider flight lasting at least one hour from a 3,000' tow and get a t/w endorsement somewhere along the line in their PPL training.

But tailwheels and gliders aren't shiny and sleek...

Latest resources

Back