• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Whatcha readin'?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks all for the awesome recommendations and in advance for future ones!! Looks like I'll start with Fate is a Hunter, since it seems to be the majority winner. I'm going to print this out and read the rest on here that you all have mentioned (the autopilot is finally working now;) )

Bssthound,

Yeah, I thought you'd like that! Baxter's semi-famous now, but matters not to him.....as long as he gets his chewies. :D He such an awesome pal.

Fuloughedgal,

Hey girl! Actually, that's a different pilot out of the same base as myself. I only hit ATL on Saturday mornings now, around 3am. That's why I don't catch ya anymore. Thanks for the recommendations and hope things are going well for ya up in ORD. That's wher you are now, right?

P.S. Keep 'em comin'. At the rate I'm going these days, I'll kill one or two a week!

Bishop's Boys

Just finished the Bishop's Boys, the story of how the Wright bros came up with the airplane andhow they discovered traininig themselves to fly it was equally as important as building hte machine, they said it was like riding a bicycle. Recommened reading ith the 100th anniver coming up. Also just started Northstar Over My etc. by Bob Buck.

Flight of Passage by Rinker Buck is definetely a good book and one that I would recommend to any pilot! Takes you back to the infant days of general aviation.

How 'bout Cannibal Queen by Stephen Coontz...it'll make you want to buy a Stearman and go toodling around the country!

THE RIGHT STUFF!

Folks folks folks!!!!!!

You all forgot to mention to this guy about "The Right Stuff" by Tom Wolfe. Thats a classic!

I highly recommend Wolfgang Langewiesche's, Stick and Rudder . This book will give you headache if you read to much at one time. Very very technical stuff.

If you are into War books, I highly recommend Band of Brothers by Steven Ambrose. Ambrose is great, I read this book in about a week. It is just excellent.

All of these books are non-fiction and you should enjoy them greatly!

Fly safe!
J.

Wow, I can't believe the thread has made it this far with no mention of Antoine De Saint Exupery (if someone already mentioned him, I missed it). Wind, Sand and Stars is his best known--it's about his old mail pilot days.
As for non-aviation--A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. IMHO, one of the funniest novels ever.

"Carrying the Fire" by Michael Collins (Apollo 11 command module pilot). A great history of the space program particularly about the early days when all the astronauts were test pilots. Its interesting to read what they thought of Yeager (arrogant, pompous, etc...). Its interesting to read how dangerous test flying was in the 1950's. Pilots were dying almost weekly. These guys had guts, and so did their wives.

Also Mr. Collins felt that Armstrong and Aldrin only had a 50% chance of survival on the first landing attempt. we know he was wrong.

Working my way through Chuck Yeager's autobiography. A fascinating man that flew in a fascinating period.

The Last Hostage by John J. Nance is a great novel. Read it two or three times....good mystery and suspense. I think it would be good for the non-aviation community but being a pilot I like it all the better....

Latest resources

Back