Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What you need to see in the next XJT contract?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JustaNumber

Since we're actually discussing the possibility of a new XJT TA coming soon, I thought it would be a good time to get ahead of the MEC propaganda and discuss what things you need to see, to vote yes, and what things you'd better not see, or you'll vote no.

I know many claim they'll vote no regardless, and others offer up vague "there need to be reserve improvements," but can we get more specific about your requirements?

For me, it's a no vote for any notable concessions, monetary or otherwise. This would include "dual qual" (or "common type flying" or whatever the correct name is). Especially with LXJT's extremely unfair arbitrated B-scale type split of the seniority group for pay. Even if management claims they need "xyz" in order to compete with Pinnacle/GoJets/SkyWest, etc.

There also needs to be parity for reserve pilots with lineholder pilots for things like number of days off and even being able to take advantage of vacation low. 150% for assignments on days off (why is a lineholder's free time more valuable than a reserve pilot's?) No more call for release for reserve guys. No more forced 5+ day trips. No involuntary TDY to get around scheduling rules. Removal of "at company's discretion" language--what's the point of bothering to even write something before that phrase? Quite frankly, there should be almost no difference in rules between regular and reserve pilots, other than one has a set schedule and one is "on call" for a set time period.

So what are your top must haves/must not haves?

QOL, and 5-day trips are NOT QOL.
Even with the recent language of "the company will endeavor to avoid assigning 5-day trips, unless they really need to screw you," I was once assigned a 6-day trip by them using involuntary TDY. Day one was DH to another domicile, day two was a day trip, day three I was assigned a 4-day trip. When I complained to the cp that the company can't assign 5-day trips, he said it was a 4-day trip and the company was well within its rights to assign 4-day trips.

I tried to explain that my suitcase didn't know the difference between his 4-day and my REAL 6-day trip away from home, but it fell on deaf ears.

I say burn the mf down unless you get double the pay and your own company unicorn that sh!ts skittles and gold!!!!

Even with the recent language of "the company will endeavor to avoid assigning 5-day trips, unless they really need to screw you," I was once assigned a 6-day trip by them using involuntary TDY. Day one was DH to another domicile, day two was a day trip, day three I was assigned a 4-day trip. When I complained to the cp that the company can't assign 5-day trips, he said it was a 4-day trip and the company was well within its rights to assign 4-day trips.

I tried to explain that my suitcase didn't know the difference between his 4-day and my REAL 6-day trip away from home, but it fell on deaf ears.

A day trip followed by a 4-day isn't a true 5-day trip. As a reserve it would be wise to pack for 6 days every time GDOs don't force a shorter stretch. Real 5 & 6 says really suck.

This is not a smart place to discuss what you want in a contract!

This guy gets it. In any case, focussing on specific details isn't very wise. Wait for the TA and vote on the total package. Until then let's not negotiate in public.

Higher min day or higher min guarantee or real trip rig to combat what is about to be shoved down our throat when new FTDT starts and we see 16 hour 4 days and 20 hour 5 days. For me, this is when it's time to get out of this business.

A day trip followed by a 4-day isn't a true 5-day trip.

I don't think you understand the situation. Day 1 I left my car in my domicile's parking lot; I stayed in company-provided hotels for 5 nights; I returned to my car on day 6. I'm sorry, but just calling part of the trip "TDY", which I never volunteered for, does not change the fact that Day 1's deadhead travel to the company hotel, followed by the "day trip" out of the other domicile, were in fact part of a 6-day trip. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!

You're not the chief pilot I talked to, are you?

This guy gets it. In any case, focussing on specific details isn't very wise. Wait for the TA and vote on the total package. Until then let's not negotiate in public.

I question your assertions that talking about details and negotiating in public isn't very wise.

The majority of the MEC has shown that they don't really care about the plight of reserves (just as you showed when you supported the company's abuse of involuntary TDY in your post above). So the MEC will come out with a TA that throws a few bones to reserves, but has few meaningful reforms, and they will sell it to us.

Wouldn't it be better if we the pilots had had more of a discussion ahead of their spin, regarding just what we're willing to accept? I can only see a thread full of demands for improvement as being helpful to the cause, that of informing the majority of the pilot group about real pilot grievances, not just selling what the MEC feels is in their best interest.

Latest resources

Back