What would you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airplane wizard

I just recieved some inheretence that is enough for me to back to school for a career change from my current job. I have 600 hours tt and my Comm SEL, CFI, CFII but I have not been able to find many students. My question is, should I invest (i.e. blow it) in buying some ME time and maybe moving to another area of the country where I might be able to do more instructing? Or should I try something else? I am 35 now and is there a reasonable chance that I could get on with a regional airline, or is there just too many people and too few jobs?

Thanks

Read my post in "Love or Hate" flying.....

read it...but I am sure that it beats what I am doing now. I know 2 pilots for Skyway that really like it there.

Most of us that worked our way through as a civilian were exactly where you are at one time. If you really want to be a pilot like I did you will succeed. If you give up you won't. People thought I was crazy at my age to keep trying but now I am enjoying a great retirement from a major airline. Didn't have a 4 year college degree either.

airplane wizard said:
I just recieved some inheretence that is enough for me to back to school for a career change from my current job. I have 600 hours tt and my Comm SEL, CFI, CFII but I have not been able to find many students. My question is, should I invest (i.e. blow it) in buying some ME time and maybe moving to another area of the country where I might be able to do more instructing? Or should I try something else? I am 35 now and is there a reasonable chance that I could get on with a regional airline, or is there just too many people and too few jobs?

Thanks

My 2 cents....and some ain't gonna like it......................

Take the money, invest, and gain financial independence -- or move in that direction.

If you pour it into flying just to get a regional job, your setting yourself up for long-term financial misery.

If you're already financially strong, then perhaps go for the additional flying with the money, but I doubt you'll every recover those invested funds through a flying job.

Pilots are a passionate bunch, and will give their left acorn to get or keep a flying job.

Just be pragmatic and use common sense. Look at where you'll be in 5 years, 10 years, 25 years, etc. You don't want to find out 10 years from now (when you're 45) that you're moving into your 3rd or 4th flying job with no retirement, no savings, and both acorns gone.

Just make sure it works from the passion side and the pragmatic side.

....been doin' this a long time. There's a lot in this biz you cannot control, but you can plan where the finances you do have go.

Fugawe

Don't get impatient and buy time. It will come. Save the money for something much more useful like a down payment on a house or something. One or two hundred hours of bought multi won't get you anywhere closer to being happy in flying than what you're doing now.

Maybe use some of the money to advertise for students or move to a big school that does multi training.

BTW... you could always go to Gulfstream ;)

Fugawe said:
My 2 cents....and some ain't gonna like it......................

Take the money, invest, and gain financial independence -- or move in that direction.

If you pour it into flying just to get a regional job, your setting yourself up for long-term financial misery.
You shouldn't hose the people that know what to do with that money by telling this guy what to do with it. Obviously, this guy's never worked for a dime in his life, so he might as well blow it so that those who know what to do with it can have it.

FN FAL said:
You shouldn't hose the people that know what to do with that money by telling this guy what to do with it. Obviously, this guy's never worked for a dime in his life, so he might as well blow it so that those who know what to do with it can have it.

FN FAL,

He asked, I wrote my opinion. Don't see how this hosed anyone.

I didn't get the sense that 'airplane wizard' was a trust fund baby at all. Nothing in his/her post points to that. Just a 35 yr old CFII looking for opinions. I offered mine, and assumed nothing of anyone in it......other than the fact that some will disagree with me.

That's how 'opinions' work.

Fugawe

My opinion is to pay off all or as much debt as you can (Cars, credit card, loans) and become debt free. This will allow you to almost be able to live on CFII wages.

check out this guys website:

DaveRamsey.com

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back