What would you do??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Squared said:
Brings up an interesting point; a few years ago somone posted an ad for a fire patrol job in Maine. Same deal, you fly for free. Somone else popped up and pointed out that according to Maine law, contractors were required to pay thier employees, and he had the documentation to back it up. It was pointed out to Mr. Dirtbag that he would be in violation and in danger of losing his contract. He started backpedaling like a scuttling cockroach.

Where did you say this job was?

Very interesting.

I would like to say were the job is, but if i tell, people in this area will know exactly who I'm talking about. So I'm going to keep it quiet. Unless anyone wants to guess????? If your in this area, you will know...

KigAir said:
Isn't he is being compensated with the flight time he is building?

And the downward spiral continues.

Upon closer inspection, I take it back.

gear goes down said:
The pay isn’t exactly great, well, its nothing.

Sorry. Apparently I glazed over this little point. I take back my advice. Don't take the job.

I mean, that's not even a job. That's charity.

Good luck nevertheless.

A Squared said:
Brings up an interesting point; a few years ago somone posted an ad for a fire patrol job in Maine. Same deal, you fly for free. Somone else popped up and pointed out that according to Maine law, contractors were required to pay thier employees, and he had the documentation to back it up. It was pointed out to Mr. Dirtbag that he would be in violation and in danger of losing his contract. He started backpedaling like a scuttling cockroach.

Where did you say this job was?
Excellent! That's one issue, however I would like to know how a pilot at a part 91 outfit can determine if an aircraft is "un-airworthy".

Maybe someone can shed some light on that subject matter.

FN FAL said:
scruffy looking Commanders you'll be rightseating in with the check haulers

Take that back!!! I doubt you have seen most of our Commanders, but about a fifth of them have very new paint - they aren't necessarily color coordinated, but they look a lot better than some other freight haulers.

You can't judge a book by it's cover, they are beautiful from the inside.

And not to hijack the thread -

A 'job' that requires someone with skills, also requires monetary compensation, otherwise you are donating your time, and skills.

I've tried to buy gas in exchange for an hour in a 172, and couldn't stop the guy from laughing...he must have wanted twin time or turbine.

Stop with the 'he's being compensated with flight-time' BS - that's used out of context way too often.

Last edited:
FN FAL said:
I would like to know how a pilot at a part 91 outfit can determine if an aircraft is "un-airworthy".

Maybe someone can shed some light on that subject matter.

Maybe if the aircraft doesn't have the required paperwork on board for a start - I think a 10 hour student pilot could determine that.

Or if it doesn't have equipment required for VFR/IFR flight.

NoPax said:
Take that back!!! I doubt you have seen most of our Commanders, but about a fifth of them have very new paint - they aren't necessarily color coordinated, but they look a lot better than some other freight haulers.

You can't judge a book by it's cover, they are beautiful from the inside.

And not to hijack the thread -

A 'job' that requires someone with skills, also requires monetary compensation, otherwise you are donating your time, and skills.

I've tried to buy gas in exchange for an hour in a 172, and couldn't stop the guy from laughing...he must have wanted twin time or turbine.

Stop with the 'he's being compensated with flight-time' BS - that's used out of context way too often.
sorry, I didn't mean to pick on a specific opertor...was just tossing out a generalization. I flew a jump plane that had a nickname of "ugly". And it was ugly. I used to call it the "whistling $hitcan". Sorry in advance for the x-word, but it's what it looked like.

Ugly was airworthy and flew great; it was just nasty looking. Eventually, it got painted to match the other jump plane...then it was more airworthy. But it still whistled when you had it slower than 80kts in the climb. It had the horton stol kit on it.

As far as getting paid for doing the work? Jeeze, even minimum wage would be better than nothing.

The place in Maine was at the local FBO in Waterville (KWVL), which by the way is out of business. I flew FP's for a reputable FBO futher Downeast (as the locals call it). There isn't a whole lot of FP's going on in Maine right now, heck we are expecting to have a white Thanksgiving (Doh!)

Flying anything for 70 hours a month should be able to pay for an apartment and and a beat up honda, anything else and we have your 'living with mom and dad syndrome' that pisses me off even more than PFT. At least the PFT ladies are out in the open with thier shenaigans.

* Living with mom and dad syndrome* - which can be combined with SJS = "I'll fly that for peanuts and live with my parents and mooooch like some scum bag, meanwhile driving wages into the toilet."

Better yet, the conservation guy should charge 20 bucks an hour to fly his crap cessna. He would have found some one.

Sorry gear down, nothing personal - I want you to get that job and the flying time..im pulling for ya; just dont sell your self short buddy, the government says you can work for compensation, do so brother.

Latest resources

Back