What would you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

asolo

Had something fire me up today and was wondering what you guys might do. The company I fly for likes for me to tanker fuel and to only buy fuel somewhere else unless I have to. I frequently have short hops and spend all day at one place. So today I fly 25-30 min and have to stay all day. When I try to get a crew car, the local FBO (Lets call it "NEW FBO") won't let me borrow it unless I get the min 50 gal fuel purchase. I call my chief pilot and he tells me to buy the fuel. I buy the fuel and girl behind the counter says, "Oops, all out of crew cars. One will be back in about 10min." I wait and then return to counter only to find out someone else signing out car. "Sorry," says the girl AND the Manager! To make a long story short, I finally get the car and get some grub.
I don't have any prob buying fuel and don't blame the NEW FBO for not wanting to give me the car. But, what am I to do? Nothing except pizza delivers, and it is about 30-45 min walk to get something else(HOT here). The last thing I am angry about is my FBO gives cars to the NEW FBO pilots and they don't buy fuel. What gives?
I guess I should start bringing my lunch huh? Any other sugggestions?

Whats the FBO? That's good info to know about a place (where not to spend all day...or give them your fuel business)

If you dont want to mention the name, what airport and where on the field is it?

You might be able to find them at APA, GMU, LEX, AMA, and BDL among others:) Again, not talking bad about them, but I guess I would rather them charge a ramp fee or a min fuel charge. I'm not opposed to a ramp fee, of say $20-50 or so b/c I know they are a business and need to make money. However, a ramp fee like $120 at Signature @MEM is crazy.
I do believe that the manager at this particular FBO location has a lot to do with it though.

TAC Air LEX has always treated me very well...always given a crew car (usually a Malibu) when I've asked for one, never charged me a ramp fee, and a couple times I never bought fuel.

But I was in a Seneca each time....

Assuming fuel at $3.50/gal and you had to buy 50 gallons, that crew car just cost you (your company) $175!! If you go there frequently, I would have your CP call and speak with the manager to see if they will just charge you a ramp fee. $175 for crew car usage is rediculous!!

Last week I was at MCI. We don't go there much and it had been nearly a year since mine or the captains last visit (we tankered fuel and forgot that they don't have any fees). We walk in and go up to the counter. They ask us if we will need fuel, I reply no, we'll just pay our fees now and get it out of the way, and if you have any crew cars left (it was lunch time) we would like to take one of those to grab something to eat. She then got an attitude and replied that they don't have any fees and all we can do is give you a ride. I replied that we would love a ride and apologized for not taking fuel. She just gave us a dissatisfied "Hmmmph" and turned and walked away from us!

Get the keys to the car before you order the fuel. Make them at least show you the keys before you order. If that doesn't work try and let your boss get rental car for the day. That would be cheaper than buying fuel anyway. Then maybe once they see you doing that they will change their tune.

I have to agree with BoilerUP. We left LEX last week where we did not get fuel on the first day. They treated us like gold. On the second stop we bought fuel and they still treated you like gold.

I've never had to buy fuel to get a crew car. If they did that to me, I would request a lav service...(every time I came in)

Latest resources

Back