• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What would you do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Getting the lav dumped every time is not going to mean a thing to the people setting this policy and will just make life harder for the line guys who have a tough enough job at times to start with. Next thing you know when you DO need fuel you'll be last in line for it.

A well worded, professional, couteous, but obviously dissatisfied letter to the corporate HQ might be a good path.

We try to tanker as much fuel as we can too. When it is a short hop and we cannot take on some courtesy fuel and need to use the crew car, we usually tell them ahead of time that we cannot justify taking on fuel, but if they would let us take the car we will fill it up or bring you back something to eat....usually that gets a crew car and everyone is happy.

Flying Illini said:
Assuming fuel at $3.50/gal and you had to buy 50 gallons, that crew car just cost you (your company) $175!! If you go there frequently, I would have your CP call and speak with the manager to see if they will just charge you a ramp fee. $175 for crew car usage is rediculous!!
Don't forget, you are getting 50 gallons of fuel for that $175... Depending on the price of fuel at your home base, the crew car is probably costing you far less than $50...

Good call to fuel up the crew car. I religiously do this where ever I get a car. I never have trouble getting one where ever I go, hell, I usually get offered the car without even asking. I've been told personally by several FBOs they really appreciate this. Saves them a little $ and a lot of time. I figure it's the least I can do for a free ride even if it's just to lunch. Keep in mind, they also have to insure and maintain the car. (Well, at least some do!) :)

Last edited:
Falcon Capt said:
Don't forget, you are getting 50 gallons of fuel for that $175... Depending on the price of fuel at your home base, the crew car is probably costing you far less than $50...

I didn't forget that fact. But for them to REQUIRE 50 gallons before releasing the car, well then that crew car just cost $175 (or whatever it is). And in the first post he said that they DIDN'T need fuel so the only reason they just spent $175 was to gain access to the crew car. That's just a little excessive in my mind.

But at the same time, it's a business, their business, and if you don't like how they do business then you don't have to go there or if you do, just call a cab...both ways can't cost more than $20-30 bucks. You could even ask the girl behind the counter to call the cab for you...;)

Instead of filling the car up (that can be 50 bucks these days!) I prefer to hand the person I am dealing with $20 bucks and say, this is for you I thank you so much. I think that is appreciated much more by the staff than, 'the car is full'.
The staff often has a lot of discretion on what happens, management is not always hanging over their shoulder.
PS KAUS one fbo is $250.00 handling fee with no purchase for a bizjet!!

asolo said:
However, a ramp fee like $120 at Signature @MEM is crazy.
Why on earth are you going to Signature when you have a choice of another FBO? Especially in MEM where Wilson Air Center is located. Wilson is one of the best FBOs in the country! Explain yourself young Lass, fore unto you shalt the thrashings commence and thou'lt be cast down below to the Sodomites (and they'll get unto you as well)...................

Note: I don't care who you are, that was funny.

I've found that offering to buy lunch for the crew that is signing out the car will often result in them offering a ride.

A rent car or cab ride is cheaper than the min fuel purchase if you fly for an operation that also owns on FBO.

Tell the offending manager that you would like to discuss the FBO's min fuel purchase/crew car policy over lunch.

Good luck next time.

Now were cookin'! Exactly, slip the CSR a 20. Speaking of Memphis, when I worked out of MKC, we would go to MEM about 2-4Xs a month, and I would slip a $20 to the CSR. It's funny how that works; always got out of there with no ramp fee, discount of fuel if we needed any, front door departures, etc. After I turned in my expense report for the 1st time, I got called into the owner's office (small company and she hated the CP so he always got skipped, but that's another story), and asked why I had $60 in tips for the 3 times we were in MEM the previous month when none of the other pilots felt it was necessary to tip when they had gone there (I was on vacation for one of the trips). I asked her to pull out the MS bills for that month (MS bills every 2 weeks) and compare the costs of going there when I am on board and when I am not. She put 2 and 2 together quickly and asked what it was I was doing with the $20 to get out of all the fees. I told her when I hit the counter, I always give the CSR a fresh 20. She just smiled and said she appreciates me looking out for her $. I told her I was saving her money so it could be passed along when it came time for a raise; somewhat of a trickle down effect I like to think of it as. She told me to get out of her office. Can't win them all, but Gravity Hater is right, start being polite with green backs. CSR are probably the lowest paid employees at an FBO, but they can do the most for you. Take that and use it to your advantage and see how much you'll save.
GravityHater said:
Instead of filling the car up (that can be 50 bucks these days!) I prefer to hand the person I am dealing with $20 bucks and say, this is for you I thank you so much. I think that is appreciated much more by the staff than, 'the car is full'.
The staff often has a lot of discretion on what happens, management is not always hanging over their shoulder.
PS KAUS one fbo is $250.00 handling fee with no purchase for a bizjet!!

Latest resources

Back