Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AirCanon04

need some second opinions here guys....

Am currently new hire/on reserve with a usair exp. commuter out east and have been offered an SIC position with a company that has a lear 31&60.

Would you stick it out at the commuter or make the jump. I know I wont get as much flying at the lears as the commuter, but......

any thoughs either way are helpful.....thanks

How is the pay/bennies and QOL? Do they have a set schedule? If not, can you live with being on call 24/7? What duties do they require the SIC to perform? Standard aircraft prep/cleanup before and after a flight or do you also have to act as the flight attendant, wash/stock the plane, etc?
There is a lot to consider. Good luck.

If it's a reputable place the pay should be a hell of a lot better. I bet close to double. I'd go with the Lears but if you're under 30 you can probably ride out the commuter unless they lose the flying due to a U.S. Airways liquidation this year. Could find yourself on furlough at least temporarily if that happens. All conjecture though.

Mr. I.

Another item to consider is the likelihood of getting qualified as a PIC at the Lear operation. Jumping ship without the possibility of logging some all-important turbine PIC may not be a great deal unless you are worried about being unemployed and you view the Lear operator as a stop-gap measure.

I know USAir is in a shaky position but how is your carrier positioned? If you think your carrier could withstand loss of USAir flying and you are somewhat close to upgrade at this time, it might be something to consider to stay on and see what unfolds.

Best wishes to you as you consider your options.

go fly the lear and try to get pic time.with painfully long upgrade times at most regionals it takes forever to get at least 1000 pic.this seems to be what every one wants now. i know of numerous people including myself that bypassed the regional uniform to fly junked out cargo lears for a few years.most of us moved straight to heavy equipment without doin the rj thing.flying 135 is the best experience you can get ,don't be in such a hurry to get to the big stuff,relax ,enjoy yourself and learn as much as you can.rj pilots are a dime a dozen.

Maybe I am mistaken, but the PIC req's at SWA and Airtranrequire,specifically, PIC in a part 121 operation. Some may have got inwithout that, but that is not the norm.

Having said that, things change. If you learn about the lear job and itseems better, you may be able to move into a 'heavy' equipment job downthe road (7 to 10 years). Which may be the same length of time it takesgoing through some regionals....

Good Luck!

d.fitz said:
Maybe I am mistaken, but the PIC req's at SWA and Airtranrequire,specifically, PIC in a part 121 operation.

You are mistaken. SWA does not require 121 PIC, only turbine PIC. It can be 121, 135, 91 or military.

For SWA it can even be single-engine PIC time... which worked for me blowing a prop oil seal in the 227.

Airtran does specify 121 PIC time. Frontier doesn't say jet is required, just preferred.

Think about QOL. Sitting reserve sucks...not having a day without your pager for 2 months is worse. imoPIC time is important, make sure the 135 company upgrades via seniority or you could get screwed there too.

"rj pilots are a dime a dozen."

Pooter, you are an idiot. You think RJ pilots are a dime a dozen? So are "juked out" Lear pilots. RJ's are going to be the keystone of domestic airline flying in the next 10 years, so enjoy your gas guzzeling MD-88 while you still can!

Latest resources

Back