Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kugelblitz

Question:

I am a 7 year CAL/UAL pilot looking at a corporate opening in my hometown. Very large company and flight department, pay and benefits are pretty good. I haven't flown corporate, but have some strong internal recommendations with the company. Given the possible upward movement at the combined UAL in the future, I am unsure whether to pursue the corporate opening. Eliminating commuting, which I must do due to family and underwater mortgage issues, would be very nice. The pay over the long term would not be that different. Thoughts?

with 7 years already in I'd personally stay put...maybe in a few years you can eliminate the commute?

You know what you have at your airline job, but you have never flown corporate ever. Might be a hard adjustment?

Large corporate is not 100% stable either. From what I have seen guys with years of connections and worthwhile ratings with Intl PIC time have no problem finding work....but I would not want to be a career airline guy recently laid off from a corporate gig with little network/experience. Yes, like it or not, all your airline time is 100% useless in the vast majority of corp depts eyes and NO department is beyond layoffs.

From a career corporate guys opinion - I'd definitely stay where you are if I was you. When I say this I am also assuming that you actually LIKE your job, just don't like the commute....

Good Luck!

Stay put!!!!!!! I have one of the best, high paying corporate pt.91 jobs.
With that in mind, during my airline career--long one--it never mattered if I had to have surgery for a stupid skiing stunt or had to take 6 weeks due to pneumonia. You might be just a number, but that can be a great advantage. Few corporate jobs have much, if any, retirement program. Your CAL/UAL career will probably provide you with a very good retirement.
I've been on both sides. The airline looks better to me.

It's not always greener on the other side of the fence. I think the airlines are at the bottom, the job market should turn and you should have upward movement at your airline.

Thanks everybody!! I was leaning on staying anyway but the temptation is always there to try and do better. Thanks again for the input.

Kug

I think it comes down to what you want out of your career. What type of job satisfaction do you receive/want...if job satisfaction is important to you? I was 12 years at the airlines with 9+ at DAL and I left for corporate in 2006. I couldn't imagine doing the airline grind for another 20 years (25 with age 65). The airline industry hasn't shown ANY indication of improving. The empirical data over the past 30 years shows a constant, gradual decline among up and down cycles.

There are plenty of corporate jobs out there that blow any airline job out of the water...you may have one.

From the corporate side, there are a lot of benefits. As you mentioned, no commuting is huge. I've been flying 91 for 8 years with the same flight department and wouldn't dream of doing anything else. I'm fortunate, good QOL, expense account on the road, time off whenever I request it. But I do realize that it's still relatively fragile and just as cyclical as the airlines. If you're tied to a growth industry, mine is medical, great, but it can change on a dime. Personally, with 7 years at the airline, I would probably stay put. It would really have to be a smoking deal all around for me to make the jump. Good luck.

I know giving up that many airline years seems tough, but I wouldn't give up my Part 91 Fortune 100 job for any airline job or crew position. If the corporate job has benefits and pay anywhere near what your making now and has some type of retirement, I would seriously consider the move. I thought the be all of human existance was to fly a 747 on international routes. Well after 21 years in the military flying heavies and putting in apps everywhere, I went to corporate. Best move I ever made. Of course, two months after I accepted my current position, I got calls from Fed Ex, and three other US/Foreign carriers. It was a temptation to leave, but my QOL, pay, bennies, superior equipment and our excellent corporate passengers more than makes up for any perceived loss of not flying for an airline. Concerning the lack of stability, our company has had a flight department of some sort since the 30's and the only way they would liquidate aviation support would be if we are bought out. In fact, I fly with someone who has a spouse flying for a major that would leave a 13 year ariline job in a minute if they could find a job like ours. Sometimes the grass is greener. Just my 2 cents....

I gotta go with JetDriver69 on this one. Each 91 job is different. I am sure I could find more $$ elsewhere than my current gig, but I really value my time off and we get a good bit plus A defined benefit pension and a small 401K match. I think our execs would rather give up an appendage than their planes.

Our interview/courting process is crazy long, but getting a good match for both sides is very important. If you get the chance, I say do the interview(s) and that will help you get a feel for the climate and how much or little you would enjoy it.

Mt

To the O/P: Do what you think is best for you. You're the only one that can decide. Personally, I wouldn't leave my Part 91 job for all the rice in China (or a honkin' big paycheck flying for Brand X.) I'm the chief pilot for a small privately-held corporation, flying great equipment with great people, for great people. Pay and bennies are OK, QOL is outstanding, retirement program is beyond outstanding. I'm all about QOL and retirement, so this is the place for me. Others might be unhappy here, but I'm soooooo happy where I'm at. It's up to you to figger out where you want to be.

Latest resources

Back