• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Would You Do ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The worst day at a legacy beats the best day at a regional -- or an ACMI carrier for that matter.

I was a few years older than you and still made the move without a second thought.

The cruelest words you could say to yourself when you hit 65 is, "If only I had made the move."

as opposed to

The cruelest words you could say to yourself when you hit 65 is, "If only I had made the move."
as opposed to the second cruelest words you could say to yourself when you hit 65 is, "If only I had not made that move"

Go with a legacy and you won't be disapointed. You'll have more options of planes to fly and places to fly to. Remember, you can't fly a 777/747 at the regional level or have Paris overnights. Go with a legacy and don't look back.

This is a Major forum.....

Go with a legacy and you won't be disapointed. You'll have more options of planes to fly and places to fly to. Remember, you can't fly a 777/747 at the regional level or have Paris overnights. Go with a legacy and don't look back.

This is the Major's forum, I think you'll have to post in the regional forum if you want advice from the Lifers...... They have made their decision and will justify it, Legacy pilots have made theirs, and although they bitch about everything, apparently don't regret the decision.

Depends on the regional. I talk to a LOT of my former colleagues. Most of these guys regret making the move - even after 15 years at the "legacy". I'm glad I stayed. Blame whomever or whatever you want but the fact remains that legacies aren't what they used to be - neither are regionals. If I do make the move, it will most likely be out of the airlines.

Age 31 leaves a lot of options and opportunities. Good luck.

I am currently a 10 year Captain for a large regional. I just turned 31. My wife and I have been discussing options for the upcoming years. Is it worth leaving for a "legacy" ? What would you all do ? I am torn over staying or leaving

I think you're in a great place. I'm in a similar situation to yours. Relax, nothings going to happen for a couple years. Take a couple cheap Hawaii/Caribbean trips with your wife, keep you nose clean and be ready when the old guys finally start peeling off.

Cheers,
Scott

Why ask this question right now? Do you really need years to make this decision...cuz that's how long it will take for you to be able to act on it.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Each individual has to make his or her own decision. The way that it works out after that is out of our control...no matter how much we pilots like to control things in our lives.

Depends on the regional. I talk to a LOT of my former colleagues. Most of these guys regret making the move - even after 15 years at the "legacy". I'm glad I stayed. Blame whomever or whatever you want but the fact remains that legacies aren't what they used to be - neither are regionals. If I do make the move, it will most likely be out of the airlines.

Age 31 leaves a lot of options and opportunities. Good luck.

A little word of advice....when you hear regional guys chatting among themselves saying things like "So I ran into Joe the other day, he says he misses what he had here....sounded regretful he made the move." Take this with a grain of salt.

Many guys who went to a Major are decent enough to not come back strutting it around, bragging about the reality of how much better working for a Major is. This would be being a Jack Ass. Heck many times I find myself, when asked from a friend who still works at a regional what the majors are like, saying "you guys got a good thing going there....your schedules and seniority....you are in a good position....who knows with the way things are going in a couple years I might be out of a job." I think you get the idea....its nice to not rub in the fact you moved on to greener pastures. So again these stories of guys regretting moving on get overblown and oft times are not 100% accurate. Food for thought.

If you can tell me what the economy will do for the next few years I can tell you what to do.

Congress is attempting to pass bills that will affect all of us and the airlines we work for. The healthcare and carbon tax bills will cost families and the economy dearly. I don’t expect much hiring until airlines determine the effect of new taxes congress is creating and how those taxes will affect the economy.

If the economy is headed for an extended recession or depression you need to stay where you are. Your seniority could protect you from being furloughed.

If we are recovering from the current recession and the economy will continue to recover than its time to get that better job. You will be the first of many hired during the economic expansion and when the next recession arrives years down the road you could have enough seniority to protect you from furlough.

If you are hired at the end of an economic expansion you are junior enough to be furloughed.

If you are hired at the beginning of an economic expansion you should have enough seniority to prevent you from being furloughed during the next recession.

Last edited:
I am currently a 10 year Captain for a large regional. I just turned 31. My wife and I have been discussing options for the upcoming years. Is it worth leaving for a "legacy" ? What would you all do ? I am torn over staying or leaving

Do it man, was in the same shoes, family good money, at 29 but working for a fractional. you will have 30 yrs.

Latest resources

Back