• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Would You Do ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The real question is what do you want from the rest of your life. If you're #1 on the list living the good life in SAN, Commuting to sit reserve in EWR for Continental is going to make you miserable, and you might want to stay at Skywest. If you're DAY based for PSA and the wife is a die hard Buckeye, then moving to CLE for Continental is a piece of cake.

If you're both flexible, then you are in a great spot.

You'll get your 10 year Regional Captain Pay back by year 3 FO at any Major worth going to and it only goes up from there.:D From a Pure Earnings standpoint, it's a no-brainer.

From a gambling standpoint, it's really a wash. Guys at TWA thought they were locked in when they were hired. Guys at Independence thought they were making the safe choice.

Life is MUCH BETTER across the board. I used to see a minimum of five DMI stickers on my Aircraft. Every flight, every day. I haven't seen more than two in years. The little things.......Jetways, Crew Meals, there's actually separate Shampoo AND Conditioner (not Conditioning Shampoo) at the hotel.........It's hard to believe it's actually the same job. Sedona is spot on with what gets said to the guys we used to work with. Nobody wants to be an ass, and everyone's situation is different.

I'd start NOW! When the next Wave starts, you want to be the guy whose already been updating his file for a couple of years. Get your logbook in order and get your stuff out there to whomever will currently accept it.

Also, I'd highly recommend that you move to wherever you end up being based. There was a time when load factors and aircraft size made commuting feasible. That time is over.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I think you're in a great place. I'm in a similar situation to yours. Relax, nothings going to happen for a couple years. Take a couple cheap Hawaii/Caribbean trips with your wife, keep you nose clean and be ready when the old guys finally start peeling off.

Cheers,
Scott

If you stay at a regional, you will have to keep going on those CHEAP cruises or trips, even in your 50s. Don't you want to be able to afford something nicer? When you fly INTL trips at a Legacy, a lot of those trips are like a mini-vacation--I have had 72 hour layovers in Munich for example. I took a train to Salzburg one of the days, and drank lots of pilsners the rest. It was all on DL's dime. You don't have that option at the regionals. Legacies give you variety----fly the heavy iron and see new places, or fly domestic and be home more. We even have day turns---for those that want to be home every night. (fairly senior though)

And another thing, do you have a family? Do you want to provide more for them? Sure, a furlough wouldn't help, and neither would flying every weekend for a few years, but overall it will help out when you need to pay for college etc... (unless you are a RICH Regional pilot like USCTrojan---aka "Donald Chump....")

Bye Bye--General Lee

If life is so great why do you have 13000+posts..wholly sh.it dude....Spend some of that $$$ and go outside....

How about staying at the regional, using that as an economic foundation, and starting your own side-business in some other industry ? This way you hang on to your quality of life ,don't have to take that initial pay cut and have an alternate source of income , not to mention a job; should your flying career tank ....Sort of like spreading the risk by expanding your options.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Last edited:
I am currently a 10 year Captain for a large regional. I just turned 31. My wife and I have been discussing options for the upcoming years. Is it worth leaving for a "legacy" ? What would you all do ? I am torn over staying or leaving

You should know the answer yourself. You probably didnt want to become an airline pilot to fly regional airliners around (no disrespect, I did it too). Your GOAL was probably to become a DC10 or 777 Captain.

Are u a good decision maker? or do you have people decide for you? DO you want to climb a ladder or do you want to be stagnant? It is all in your head and your personality. I say take the plunge, but have a back up.

I know a long time ago when I took the leap to a legacy (furloughed 2 years later) part of the interview panel and testing pinpointed assertiveness, aim and decision making. BE ASSERTIVE, make your choice and NEVER EVER look back. You are still young. You will still have more than 30 years or more at the legacies..

Good Luck,

CYA

Last edited:
I am currently a 10 year Captain for a large regional. I just turned 31. My wife and I have been discussing options for the upcoming years. Is it worth leaving for a "legacy" ? What would you all do ? I am torn over staying or leaving

First of all if you are even considering it....APPLY! to those airlines. Let them decide if they will interview you...alot of folks just talk themselves out of the job and do not even fill out the app. I was told once that it is going to be worth it if you have more years ahead of you than behind you at the regional...and in your case you have more ahead of you. I was at a very good regional and I would take reserve FO A320 anyday over line holder as a jet captain at the regional I left. It is a better job at mainline.
It is better to have disappointment than regret.

Good luck and keep your slate clean.

Last edited:
Not only is the "wave" coming but the Age 65 dudes will compound that in December 2012 and start to retire enmasse.

Git 'er done and enjoy the ride. I can promise there will be bumps and frustration but after 18 years of chasing dreams I'm glad I did it.

Gup

I had the chance to go to a legacy,.... CAL...I know, gag me... and I decided to stay at the regional because they were such a crappy airline.

I would never leave a good regional for a crappy legacy like CAL.

I left a large regional carrier after nine years. I'm now flying a widebody and although I'm very junior the difference in every aspect is immense. Go for it, you'll be glad you did.

I had the chance to go to a legacy,.... CAL...I know, gag me... and I decided to stay at the regional because they were such a crappy airline.

I would never leave a good regional for a crappy legacy like CAL.

She had the chance, until she blew the interview!!! Now she is stuck where she is, and bitter over it. hahahahaha Sucka.

Latest resources

Back