• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Would You Do ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I left Continental Express(the real Continental Express) in 2003 to "make my move". I went to work for AirTran Airways. I never regretted making that move. Heck, my hire date at COEX basically answered the question as to move on or not for me(I was July 1998 for those of you familiar with the COEX flow through). I held captain in 2005 at AirTran but I had already put in my application with Continental, the airline I always wanted to work for. They called and I interviewed and was hired the same month my classmates at AirTran made the move to the left seat. I still didn't regret the move. I am doing right now what I always wanted to do in aviation. I fly from a base close to my hometown and family. I chose to live in Austin, Texas and commute down to Houston to fly my trips(actually bid reserve and never fly right now, which is nice). I made the difficult choice twice since 9/11 and I have not looked back even once. I've had good luck and timing but even if the luck had not been there, I would have not looked back. You see, I, like other people didn't get into this profession to fly RJ's or corporate jets around for a living. I wanted to fly big airliners around to places I wouldn't under most circumstances travel to if I didn't hold this job. It has been a great ride and although I hate certain things about our work rules and pay at Continental, I strongly believe things are going to get a lot better in the next year or two as more and more people like me are going to be voting and insisting on better working conditions at this airline going forward. Listen to General Lee. Delta is a great airline, as is American. United will be again real soon as well. Maybe United and Continental will merge, who knows.. I will say that a combined CAL/UAL will emerge a strong airline with a lot of momentum down the road. Follow your dreams. Don't let the guys on this forum who have chosen to accept mediacracy sway you to join in their misery. If you have the ability to get picked up by a legacy in the next couple of years as they hire again, do it. You will not regret your decision.

Last edited:
Furloughs aren't forever, Poc- the whole concept of a regional is based on sacrificing in the short term for the long term goal-

that being said- the extent that the weak-d!ck baby boomer major airline pilots allowed outsourcing has very much muddied the water. It is not the no-brained choice it once was. Everyone I know that chose united in the past 10 years has gotten killed for that choice. Security though at a regional is an illusion due to their nature.

Bottom-line: keep it in perspective and do what YOU want. No job will make you satisfied and happy in and of itself. It will be how you approach your career- the openness you have to change- that will define your happiness.

Latest resources

Back