• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Would You Do ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are not a real Air Line Pilot till you've been furloughed...

OMG I am surrounded by morons.

You don't have to be furloughed to be an airline pilot. That might be the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

"I think I'm going to apply at CAL." is the stupidest ever though... LOL

If you move during an economic downturn, don't bitch if you get furloughed.

You don't have to be furloughed to be an airline pilot. That might be the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Pocono,

===nevermind===have a nice night.

CYA

1- this is your career- play chess, not checkers- think long term.
2- realize not every major is the same- and the timing for one won't be as good as others.
3- you don't have a choice until you have a choice.
Ie: if you might want to work at a company, realize there are 20,000 others who do too- 5000-10000 who are as qualified as you. Go after it now- w/ everything you have- get the job - then you have a choice. If you're on the fence- don't show it- if any interviewer sees that... You'll get denied and this is really a moot question. Ie again- don't wait to start the process... Keeping your options open means updating apps and staying on top of the process. Don't make your choice by default.

4- in the end YOU make the choice. Don't get influenced. No matter what opinions you hear or how forceful they might be- it's your choice when you get it. If it goes badly- you can live with a choice that YOU made- it's tougher when you get swayed. (speaking from experience)

It sounds like you like where you are... which means you can be pickier about where you go next. That's an enviable position! But you don't have to decide until you actually have a choice (IOW a job offer). In the meantime, fall back to your "other choice" ...just staying where you are.

However, I don't think enough have mentioned that where you are now may not be as stable as you think. Regionals are getting whipsawed against each other more and more now, and I don't think this will get better. It's a lousy industry... just ask the senior Air Wisconsin guys who were in ATW or ORD that have to commute now what they think about their seniority. My point is, "staying put" where you are may not be as good an option as you or your senior friends think.

Either way, good luck!

What?

never furloughed, you fit into a a very select group, I know guys who have had it done 3 times in the last two years. They keep the averages up.

When you started flying, what was your goal? Majors, regionals, corporate, other?

Will you have regrets if you don't try to meet your goal?

Are there any guarantees you'll get exactly where you wanted? No.

But, most likely you'll be disappointed if you don't try.

If you choose to move and you can do so w/o resigning from your first job, do it (leave of absence). Many have played that card wisely.

It is a crap shoot as many have mentioned. Once you have your squares filled, it is luck and timing.

Side job (mentioned by another poster)? Probably some of the best advice I ever got from an old senior fart almost 20 yrs ago. No job is secure.

I had a good job with a corporation flying as a Captain on a Jetstar making good money. I was 35 when I quit and went to work for a west coast small airline flying 737's for 700 per month. The fourth month I got furloughed for eight months then came back at the same pay for another 8 months. Everyone thought I was nuts but I wanted to fly large aircraft full of people, not 10 execs to business meetings and golf courses in San Juan etc.

It was the best choice I have made in my life. I retired as a captain flying wide bodies international at MIA 25 years later. Ended up with a good retirement and bought in the Keys when it was cheaper. Getting ready to get in the boat tied to my dock and go enjoy an afternoon at my favorite Tiki bar watching my favorite band. Six years after retirement I have not regretted my decision once, not even when I got furloughed. Do it.

Obviously a VERY smart man who knows how to enjoy life after the airlines. How many age-60+ pilots will drop dead right after they retire only to have missed the best years of their lives.

Living in the keys with my boat on my own dock? Mmmmmmm.... heaven!

Anyway, back to thread topic. Make the move and NEVER look back. I know a gentleman at my airline who flew WBs all over the world as Captain and then came to Continental in his late 40s. He's never regretted it. Flys as FO on the WB now but has 20-22 days off per month and I'm pretty sure he's at the 12 yr rate already, so he's pullin more coin that he did as a contract pilot, sans the taxes. I upgraded early in my major career simply because more senior FOs wanted a better lifestyle. There are opportunities you might not have imagined that becme real possiblities after only a few years at a major. The variables at a legacy carrier are much more capacious due to the extensive flying and subsequent equipment that is offered. With the regionals you simply hit a ceiling due to limitations on route and equip. Be careful of that big fish in a small pond trap. I don't know any pilot that regretted leave their regional for a major. Sure we all had our gripes, our ups-and-downs. But grass is always greener... all humans always look at life that way. Once things got a bit better with seniority at the majors, we quickly realized how fortunate we were to make the decision to break out of our comfort zone.

Do you want to be playing up against that proverbial ceiling at the regionals, more or less bored, for the next 29-34 years? Or would you like to open up your world to possibilities?

Just be sure to save up as much as you can before you get to the majors. You'll need it to get through those first 1-5 years (5 if it's CAL, 1 if it's DAL). I know it ain't right but that's they way it is for now.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Also Consider Foreign Carriers

Two acquaintances recently left a legacy for CX as DEFO 777 LAX-HKG-LAX.

CX has pending orders for more WBs.

Latest resources

Back