Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What would you do? I could use some help on this one.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks guys. I was never too excited about going to TSA...just saw it as a means to an end but in light of the above comments, I'll steer clear.

Illini...I would like to avoid ORD if at all possible. First choice would be CMH, then IND, and a distant third is STL. Notice that all of those are bases that CHQ has...which is why CHQ is my #1 choice...that and I know a lot of people there who have good things to say.

Thanks for the replies!

Hey man, I would not go to TSA. I've got a friend there who is trying to get on here at SkyWest because he hates it at TSA. He said the Goooojets vs. TSA thing is getting out of control. Another friend of mine who I was in training with left TSA for SkyWest cause he hated it there too. Even if you are to use them for some quick flight time, you might end up getting stuck there, and that's going to be miserable. If you're going to be stuck somewhere, be stuck at someplace that you like. If you're looking for quick flight time, it's going to be hard cause you'll be on reserve. When things were moving fast here, most FOs were on reserve for a month, but now the ones at the bottom have been on reserve for 4 months, and looking longer since there's no hiring for a few more months. If you're looking to build up to 3000 hours, then goto a regional that you like and stay there until you get your time. Buf if you're looking for only ATP mins, then stay where you are at and stick it out.

-W

Flying Illini said:
Thanks guys. I was never too excited about going to TSA...just saw it as a means to an end but in light of the above comments, I'll steer clear.

Illini...I would like to avoid ORD if at all possible. First choice would be CMH, then IND, and a distant third is STL. Notice that all of those are bases that CHQ has...which is why CHQ is my #1 choice...that and I know a lot of people there who have good things to say.

Thanks for the replies!

I hate to say it, but you're too picky.

CMH and IND aren't exactly the pinnacles of aviation. Outside of CHQ, you're not going to find a job that will base you there, unless you are open to AirNet. There are plenty of other regionals that are hiring, so why limit yourself? Even if you did get on with CHQ on the 145, that fleet seems to be stagnant or even shrinking, so you'd probably be stuck on reserve with little end in sight. Not exactly the best way to build time.

My advice to you is to pick somewhere that will get you off reserve quickly (or that will fly your tail off on reserve), and secondly, pick somewhere that will be a decent bet for the future. Sure, you've got that cushy corporate job lined up once you reach 3000, but what happens if that falls through and you're stuck at some scumbag regional? Sounds crazy, but there's many on this board that will attest to their careers not going as planned.

If you just want to bust out the ATP mins, bite the bullet and go back to instructing. It's probably the fastest way to build time when you factor the 2-3 month lag time for initial training.

~~~^~~~ said:
Second, why don't you think CHQ will just see you as an opportunist who "used" TSA and who would not also jump ship from CHQ on a whim?

I've flown with countless FOs who have used Colgan to get to CHQ, ExpressJet, Comair, and believe it or not, TSA. All part of the business.

That being said, if you sign a training contract, you should honor it. If the airline doesn't have one, I guess they don't mind getting shafted after three or four months.

Lastly, I have never met a TSA pilot who said good things about the company. I'd stay at your current job to get your time. If you can't pass a basic sim ride at a CHQ interview, you'll probably fail out of TSA's training. And how would that look to CHQ?

Hey, I have a good thing to say about TSA!!!

If you make it through training and apply anywhere, a question you'll probably be asked is, "Have you failed a check ride anywhere, except TSA." If you can get it done here, chances are you'll make it anywhere.

TiredOfTeaching said:
Hey, I have a good thing to say about TSA!!!

If you make it through training and apply anywhere, a question you'll probably be asked is, "Have you failed a check ride anywhere, except TSA." If you can get it done here, chances are you'll make it anywhere.

You forgot ACA as well when asked about checkride failures.

just to clarify...I'm not worried about the sim check at CHQ, that's why I put the smiley face after that comment.

CHQ works us reserve guys like crazy. I did 98.5 hours last month, a friend also on reserve did 100+. Seems to be CMH crews only, since other bases (BUF for example) seem to rarely use their reserve FO's. I did hold a line from June-September, then fleet downsizing put me back on reserve. Even as one of the bottom lineholders, I still got anywhere from 13-16 days off on those months.

If you want to work for CHQ, just be patient. No regional job is worth putting up with if that isn't where you want to be. I live in base, and my QOL is awesome. No wasted days commuting, I don't care about early starts or late finishes and a lot of days I'm home and off work my noon. I have extra time to spend doing important things in life other than commuting to/from work. It may not last forever, but for now its great. Good luck.

i know this stay away from TSA thing is getting kind of redundant but i thought my personal expiriences might help..besides the fact that everyone one who are already line pilots telling you to stay away. I was hired by TSA last summer and decided to pursue other options after learning the finite points about the company. I was almost identical to you in that CHQ was my first choice. First off TSA..when i was originally hired they were putting half the peeps in the Jball and half the peeps in the jet....they swore by the stone that they were keeping the jballs for a long time to come...i have some friends still flying there who are worried about theyre jobs as they are starting to get rid of the jetstreams..this is just one of a thousand example of little things that make this company a regional "bottom feeder". I finnally got my CHQ interview..got hired and have been sitting in the pool ever since. I still dont regret the decision...pick a place where U want to be...and stick with it....im not getting lots of jet time as im sitting here floating..but im still flying waiting for the phone call which i think will come soon...if you wanna work at CHQ...keep naggin them with your resume...suck it up...and wait...defanatley worth it in the long haul....

Latest resources

Back