Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What would you do? I could use some help on this one.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
I'm trying to get on with a regional. CHQ is my first choice due to basing options (CMH or IND). I've had my stuff walked in there but right now they are only hiring into the 170 and you need ATP mins (i've got everything but the TT).

My options to achieve my CHQ goal are as follows:

I've applied to SKW (this may be a place to hang my hat, even though ORD would be the closest base to what I prefer). I haven't heard anything back from them yet but it doesn't seem like they will be running any new-hire classes till at least March anyway.

My other option would be TSA. I'm looking really hard at this option right now. I could fly with them for several months, get my TT up, then re-apply with CHQ. The best case scenario as I figure it (correct me if I'm wrong): Apply now, start class the beginning of Feb, begin flying around mid-March. Take several month to fly the 150 hrs I need to ATP mins. Maybe re-apply to CHQ around June/July.

As it stands now, with my current company I won't have ATP mins till July/August at which time I would then re-apply to CHQ (unless they have started hiring into the 135/145 before this time). This would be close to a wash between TSA and my current company...the only advantage I see by going to TSA is that I would have an airline groundschool/sim under my belt (and that may get me out of the sim ride at the CHQ interview :)). I'm not too worried about having trouble at an airline groundschool/sim though since I've been through formal training with my current company.

I'm open to all opinions.

Thanks for the help!

ps, the reason for this is as follows. There is a corp job that I'm all but in the door for but my TT is really limiting...they would like >3000TT. I've thought about cargo but the Dir. of Ops. said he would prefer to see regional time over cargo time. The sooner I'm there the better things will be for my wife and I...which is why I hanging around my current company isn't an option.

Flying Illini said:
I could fly with them for several months, get my TT up, then re-apply with CHQ. The best case scenario as I figure it (correct me if I'm wrong): Apply now, start class the beginning of Feb, begin flying around mid-March. Take several month to fly the 150 hrs I need to ATP mins. Maybe re-apply to CHQ around June/July.

As it stands now, with my current company I won't have ATP mins till July/August

....the only advantage I see by going to TSA is that I would have an airline groundschool/sim under my belt (and that may get me out of the sim ride at the CHQ interview :)). I'm not too worried about having trouble at an airline groundschool/sim though since I've been through formal training with my current company.

I'm open to all opinions.

ps, the reason for this is as follows. There is a corp job that I'm all but in the door for but my TT is really limiting...they would like >3000TT. I've thought about cargo but the Dir. of Ops. said he would prefer to see regional time over cargo time. The sooner I'm there the better things will be for my wife and I...which is why I hanging around my current company isn't an option.
OK, so you would go through training, at an expense to your employer of $15,000 to $20,000 so you could make up the difference of June/July, or July/August? Thirty days, four weeks, one lousy month?

First of all, you are assuming the stars will line up just right and CHQ, or whoever will hire you the second you are qualified and offer your services to them. Second, why don't you think CHQ will just see you as an opportunist who "used" TSA and who would not also jump ship from CHQ on a whim? Third, most airlines don't waive the sim ride for anybody. After all, the point is to see if you have the basics. And yes, I've seen several pilots who could not cut the mustard leave my airline, pop up at another airline and fail to cut the mustard there too. Getting through 7 sim sessions does not make a good line pilot.

Eventually, you want to be able to show some stability on your employment history. Most HR folks will assume you have either been fired, or had some other problem to leave a flying job after just a few months. Even if you tell them you're dumping TSA for your dream job at CHQ, they are going to be skeptical. I would not hire you under those circumstances.

150 hours is not much. In fact, you probably have a better chance of sneaking in under the mins by knowing someone at CHQ than you do avoiding a sim eval. I would work towards the job you want and not burn any bridges along the way. When I needed time I went in with five friends and bought an airplane. I had 150 hours in two months, you can too. Just a matter of priorities.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Stay away from TSA. It's not worth the headaches, even for a short time.

~~~^~~~ said:
OK, so you would go through training, at an expense to your employer of $15,000 to $20,000 so you could make up the difference of June/July, or July/August?

First of all, you are assuming the stars will line up just right and CHQ, or whoever will hire you the second you are qualified and offer your services to them. Second, why don't you think CHQ will just see you as an opportunist who "used" TSA and who would not also jump ship from CHQ on a whim? Third, most airlines don't waive the sim ride for anybody. After all, the point is to see if you have the basics. And yes, I've seen several pilots who could not cut the mustard leave my airline, pop up at another airline and fail to cut the mustard there too. Getting through 7 sim sessions does not make a good line pilot.

Eventually, you want to be able to show some stability on your employment history. Most HR folks will assume you have either been fired, or had some other problem to leave a flying job after just a few months. Even if you tell them you're dumping TSA for your dream job at CHQ, they are going to be skeptical. I would not hire you under those circumstances.

150 hours is not much. In fact, you probably have a better chance of sneaking in under the mins by knowing someone at CHQ than you do avoiding a sim eval. I would work towards the job you want and not burn any bridges along the way. When I needed time I went in with five friends and bought an airplane. I had 150 hours in two months, you can too. Just a matter of priorities.

Just my opinion.
I appreciate the thoughts. Right now CHQ is waiving the sim ride during the interview for high-timers and for prior 121 folks. In the scenario I layed out, yes, I am givng a "best case" scenario. I don't expect the stars to line up perfectly...just laying it out there to see what people had to say. I realize that none of this means anything since I have no interviews to date. I wasn't meaning to sound like I was counting my chickens too soon.

Again, thanks for the views.

Whats up man,
I see what you are saying but I think if all you care about is getting 3000 total time, then just stay at one regional. If you start regional hopping you are wasting months where you can be building up to 85 hours each one. I dont see the benefit to go from TSA to CHQ, its at least 2 to 3 months in class sim etc, plus you could get stuck on reserve where you might get a lot of time or get none. This month I will only fly 35 or so on reserve, out of ORD. Plus dont come to CHQ hoping to get ORD that base is stagnat and all the growth is out of CMH or IND.

Look hard at your options and go to the one place that you can get a LINE the quickest, that is the only guarantee to getting the 3000 total. Good luck and if you want anymore info PM me and I will give you all my contact info.

D

CHQ isn't hiring. I recently interviewed and got put in the pool, but already found something else. But with the internal movement, I am sure E-145's slots will eventually open up.

wait! STOP!
Whatever you do, don't go to TSA. CHQ or SKW would be worth the wait. In the words of a former TSA ground school instructor..."you ought to have your ATP yanked for applying here!".

That was the longest year of my life.

Stay away from TSA. If you get hired in Feb you won't be online till April or May. So thats 2 or 3 months with no flying at all. Once out on line you will be on reserve for probably 6 months at least. Right now most reserve guys are only flying about 30 hours or less per month. I know one guy that hasn't flown at all since Thanksgiving day. So his flight time for Dec so far is ZERO. Things at TSA are nasty and getting nastier by the day.

Sounds like you are just ready to move on and want it NOW. Is there any way to instruct for a few months to get some quick and dirty flight time? Other than that I would say just stay right where you are unless SKYW calls.

Latest resources

Back