What would you do (FARs)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pilot124 said:
It's as simple as an MEL. Set an example by showing your student where to find it in the MEL book and how to do it. I wouldn't have half the time I have now if every time something small went wrong I just grounded the plane.

Uh, C172's dont have MELs unless you personally have had one certified by the FAA for your particular bird. I have heard that UND has real MEL's for their fleet of Pipers :puke:

Yes UND has MEL's and the stage pilots love to bust the students who never seem to be able to fill out a discrepency sheet.

=w= said:
Uh, C172's dont have MELs unless you personally have had one certified by the FAA for your particular bird. I have heard that UND has real MEL's for their fleet of Pipers :puke:

Heres a link to the MMEL (Master Minimum Equipment List) for Part 91 Single Engined Airplanes. You customize it to your particular airplane:

http://www.opspecs.com/AFSDATA/MMELs/FINAL/Part_91/A1%20Single%20Eng%20R5/

All Minimum Equipment Lists start out from a master and are customized to the operators requirements. Since you have to have everything working thats installed unless you have a MEL, the Feds have to give you an out, like a MEL. (14CFR91.213)

Since you have to have everything working thats installed unless you have a MEL, the Feds have to give you an out, like a MEL. (14CFR91.213)

Uh, not really

(d) Except for operations conducted in accordance with paragraph (a) or (c) of this section, a person may takeoff an aircraft in operations conducted under this part with inoperative instruments and equipment without an approved Minimum Equipment List provided—
(1) The flight operation is conducted in a—
(i) Rotorcraft, non-turbine-powered airplane, glider, lighter-than-air aircraft, powered parachute, or weight-shift-control aircraft, for which a master minimum equipment list has not been developed; or
(ii) Small rotorcraft, nonturbine-powered small airplane, glider, or lighter-than-air aircraft for which a Master Minimum Equipment List has been developed; and
(2) The inoperative instruments and equipment are not—
(i) Part of the VFR-day type certification instruments and equipment prescribed in the applicable airworthiness regulations under which the aircraft was type certificated;
(ii) Indicated as required on the aircraft's equipment list, or on the Kinds of Operations Equipment List for the kind of flight operation being conducted;
(iii) Required by §91.205 or any other rule of this part for the specific kind of flight operation being conducted; or
(iv) Required to be operational by an airworthiness directive; and
(3) The inoperative instruments and equipment are—
(i) Removed from the aircraft, the cockpit control placarded, and the maintenance recorded in accordance with §43.9 of this chapter; or
(ii) Deactivated and placarded “Inoperative.” If deactivation of the inoperative instrument or equipment involves maintenance, it must be accomplished and recorded in accordance with part 43 of this chapter; and

paulsalem said:
Uh, not really

(d) Except for operations conducted in accordance with paragraph (a) or (c) of this section, a person may takeoff an aircraft in operations conducted under this part with inoperative instruments and equipment without an approved Minimum Equipment List provided—
(1) The flight operation is conducted in a—
(i) Rotorcraft, non-turbine-powered airplane, glider, lighter-than-air aircraft, powered parachute, or weight-shift-control aircraft, for which a master minimum equipment list has not been developed; or
(ii) Small rotorcraft, nonturbine-powered small airplane, glider, or lighter-than-air aircraft for which a Master Minimum Equipment List has been developed; and
(2) The inoperative instruments and equipment are not
(i) Part of the VFR-day type certification instruments and equipment prescribed in the applicable airworthiness regulations under which the aircraft was type certificated;
(ii) Indicated as required on the aircraft's equipment list, or on the Kinds of Operations Equipment List for the kind of flight operation being conducted;
(iii) Required by §91.205 or any other rule of this part for the specific kind of flight operation being conducted; or
(iv) Required to be operational by an airworthiness directive; and
(3) The inoperative instruments and equipment are—
(i) Removed from the aircraft, the cockpit control placarded, and the maintenance recorded in accordance with §43.9 of this chapter; or
(ii) Deactivated and placarded “Inoperative.” If deactivation of the inoperative instrument or equipment involves maintenance, it must be accomplished and recorded in accordance with part 43 of this chapter; and

Uh, yeah really.

But the original question was about the fuel quantity indicator, and that is required for day/vfr flight in a powered airplane. My point is that if he had a MEL, the flight could still be dispatched with the inop gas gauge. Without a MEL, the gas gauge is a no go item.

Those crazy mechanics!

Set that mechanic strait, you make decisions about flying, he fixes things that are broken.

Next time just tell him: "I fly em, you fix em"

Boy, do they get mad though!

paulsalem said:
(ii) Indicated as required on the aircraft's equipment list

This is the crux of it - for this airplane, this kind of operation..... I can't recall for cezznas but you have to pull out the Wt & Bal / Equipment list and see if the gauges have an "R" beside it.

Latest resources

Back