Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What would the first year at United be like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I didn't bother because Tricare Prime retiree costs less than $50/month and provides great coverage.
Yes, it did! Was forced off it this year. It was great while it lasted! Now paying a lot more.

According to a recent article by Tom Philpott, Defense officials are expected to soon announce that military retirees and their dependents that live more than 40 miles from a military treatment facility or BRAC (base closure) site will lose access to TRICARE Prime as early as next April. This move could force as many as 171,000 retirees to shift to TRICARE Standard, which would mean an increase in out-of-pocket costs, especially those with special needs dependents or other chronic health issues.

http://militaryadvantage.military.com/2012/11/dod-plan-will-force-171000-off-tricare-prime/

Last edited:
Yes, it did! Was forced off it this year. It was great while it lasted! Now paying a lot more.

Yes, I read something about that. We planned on moving near a military base after my wife retires due to all of her prescriptions.

More changes on the way.
August 05, 2013
Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel gave a preview of how round two of budget sequestration could rattle current forces if Congress is willing to let the defense budget take hit in FY2014. According to Hagel, the 2014 sequestration will result in a loss in in pay and benefits for servicemembers. The impact will be cuts in Basic Allowance for Housing, O-CONUS cost-of-living allowances, caps on future military pay raises, the end to military commissaries and a modification in TRICARE, which could force younger retirees to use employer offered health care insurance.

http://www.military.com/military-report/cuts-in-bah-tricare-commissaries-and-more

If you live in Dfw area you will drive to houston occasionally. Not that bad. buc-ees in madisonville takes the pain out. Lots of dallas commuters

$300 deductible, then 20% copay, then $3000 cap.

Does the company offered Tricare Supplemental fill that gap? I haven't looked at what the Supplemental covers.

I'm assuming that T-1Guy would be within 40 miles of Navy Dallas (formerly Carswell AFB).

As far as commuting, I went through Dallas once on my way to IAH (I'm in Tucson). Tough commute; will probably end up jumpseating on AMR most of the time.

Last edited:
Does the company offered Tricare Supplemental fill that gap? I haven't looked at what the Supplemental covers.
Someone I know said the supplement works very well. The annual premium cost for a family in 2014 is $1920. The catastrophic cap for TRICARE Standard is $3000, so if you max out your medical costs you'd save $1080. If don't use it very much then you'd pay unnecessary premiums.

Someone I know said the supplement works very well. The annual premium cost for a family in 2014 is $1920. The catastrophic cap for TRICARE Standard is $3000, so if you max out your medical costs you'd save $1080. If don't use it very much then you'd pay unnecessary premiums.

Wouldn't an FSA cover all expenses after the deductible for less money than the Tricare supplement?

Wouldn't an FSA cover all expenses after the deductible for less money than the Tricare supplement?
Good point. This is my first year without Prime and I will pass on the supplemental plan. See how it goes.

Latest resources

Back