What were they thinking..or not!

NookyBooky

Beach Bum Extraordanaire
Total Time
ha!
"The British airline called its pilot, a former RAF Harrier pilot according to the Daily Mail newspaper, a "hero" for his action in taking rapid evasive measures."

It gets easier to become a "hero" every day.

sky37d

Total Time
1000+
ALL formation flying must be briefed in advance. Even the DUKE said so.

VNugget

suck squeeze bang blow
Total Time
Yeah, but were they in a 4G inverted dive?

Huggyu2

Live to fly; fly to live
Total Time
9000+
What's the big deal? When the pax paid for their tickets, they assumed risk and trusted in the skill of the pilots. Was there a mid-air? No. Was there going to be. No. Were the pilots formation qualified? At least some were. It was probably more dangerous getting to the airport than just going through with the photo op. In fact, I think all airliners should cross The Pond as a 2-ship.

There,... I feel better.

Tarzan

Total Time
I want my "hero" title too then. I had to take evasive action where some chowder head in a Bonanza said he had me in sight and was cleared to land behind me. The idiot appeared in my windscreen descending from above and to the right. He was close enough to count rivets. I got the call from the tower about the time we were banked about 80 degrees and dropping like a rock. Fun stuff.

sky37d

Total Time
1000+
Can I be a hero too?? I got a call from ATC same altitude, opposite direction, closing fast. Rolled it steep, climbed like a banshee, same thing you do with birds.

Speaking of which, on landing the other day the biggest Hawk I have ever seen was right in front of me. I'm thinking major structural damage to me, fortunately, when I dived, he climbed.