What was your best flight ever?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cool stuff.

My best flights was whenever I strapped a WWII pilot into the front seat of the T-6 I used to fly. They ranged from Navy Wildcat pilots, to a P-47 guy that got clobbered by his wingman over occupied France (his 2nd bailout...his 1st was when his wingman hit him during training in the T-6), to a B-29 pilot, and even a Flying Tiger.

Blasting off out of Olympia Washington with St. Hellens going off ahead of us and the view if Mt. Ranier out my left window. Very cool.

Aw man...'best','most fun'...so many!!

Most fun:

Just before the end of my active duty tour at Beale AFB, CA, flying T-38As in Air Combat Command...all of the fun, none of the training command rules...

Anyway, I went cross country for a weekend, solo vs solo in two shiny black with red T-38s. Saturday morning, at North Island NAS operations (San Diego), as we are prepping to fly, a B-25 Mitchell comes in to land...an old B-25 squadron was having a reunion, so the CAF flew in one. We got a free tour and a chance to chat with those guys...awesome!

Then we go fly, heading up to McCarran airport in Vegas. I had talked to the Nellis AFB guys (preplanned), and reserved their MOA/ATCAA for our use. That airspace is surface to infinity, and other than you (a) couldn't go supersonic, and (b) a few noise sensitive areas, there were no restrictions. Basically it was the best combination (for a T-38) of a low level and MOA rules...we explored the legal limits of the T-38 envelope as a two ship...

We then landed at McCarran, got fuel at Signature, launched, and did it AGAIN! Then landed and spent the night at Nellis AFB.

I haven't had that much fun flying (hell, the whole day in total) since!

Best flight:

Much harder to decide...

1. Flying as a 2 ship over Victoria, British Columbia at 1500 AGL...
2. Flying as a 2 ship up the San Fran bay at 1000 AGL...
3. Flying over the interior of British Columbia including peaks of 13k at 1000 AGL...
4. Low levels through Washington State...or the Sierras...500 AGL...
5. Doing a flyby at my 10 year USAFA reunion...
6. Getting pictures of ALL of the above...with a NICE camera...all in the T-38...

Fly Safe,
FastCargo

One to remember!

We were flying LA to Hawaii, HNL in a DC10. We were about 200 miles out when the controller asked us if we wanted to see something special and would like lower. I asked him what it was and said I did'nt want to start down unless the passengers would enjoy the view also.

He said they would enjoy the view. So we started our descent into HNL, went down to 10,000, broke out of the clouds and long and behold their is the USS Missouri being towed into HNL for its final resting place-. It was very awsome to see this historic ship getting towed into port, knowing the history and seeing the Missouri in the open ocean for the last time was .............priceless....

Some of our passengers were so excited, some of the passengers who served in WWII, thought it was the greatest sight they have ever seen.........

Tokyo to ANC at night

Hail Bop comet directly in sight

Northern lights dancing over the pole

Sun rise to the east in full view

ANC center called us and asked us if we wanted to start our descent we said, "No thanks". we described to him the view and he let us fly directly to the VOR at FL450 and the cirlce down over the field.

Truly Awesome.

My first Atlantic crossing as an FO. Seeing the lights of the fishing boats off Lisbon, knowing you'd made the crossing. I thought "hey, this is pretty cool". Now, I just jump in and head off to London like it's no big deal...

Most memorable though is a line check in a 767-200 with a great sim instructor as Captain getting his annual line check too. The check airman was a great guy too--he owned a flying service in Montana and flew several floatplanes. We went from STL to LGW and he asked if I wanted to fly. Sure. The wind was a direct crosswind at 25 knots and gusty--you had to work the whole way down. So I'm jacking the throttles to stay roughly on speed and crabbing the whole way down thinking "don't screw this up--it's better to die and look good..." ;) .

So we come over the threshold and I'm still working it like a one armed paper hanger. I kick the crab out and about that time the only thing you hear is the spoiler handle going back. I rolled it on. No one said a thing until we were on the taxiway and the check guy said "are we on yet".

It took an hour for the hard on to go down... :D

I got a hummer in the GIV in the hanger the other night. Does that count as a flight? :p TC

Nothing too sexy. Was kind of cool a few years ago leaving BUF the day after Christmas in a snow storm (they closed the airport a couple of hours later), it is snowing like crazy and get above 5,000 feet and it is severe clear everywhere except over Buffalo.

AA717driver said:
I got a hummer in the GIV in the hanger the other night. Does that count as a flight? :p TC

I need to get out more often. Had no idea a hummer could fit into a GIV. Better hope the boss doesn't find out.

:)

I have had some very memorable flights. Some funny, some demanding, some rewarding.

I still think that I haven't had the best one yet though.

regards,

dane
:)

Sand box to home

Circa 1997. Sand box to Germany. . . . Not so fast! Shut down #3 for overheat. Divert. PAR Down to mins in Italy. Land 200 and a half. Engine change. Meet future wife on day one of engine change. 6 days later, fix engine and leave future wife in Italy. 6 months later, return to retrieve future wife in Italy. Capture her, retrurn to US. 3 months later get married. Still married nearly 8 years later.

Fred brought me a lot of problems. But he also brought me the best thing I ever found, and taught me a few things along the way.

Now back to Brown and Boeing.

TH.

These are GREAT.....

Being a low time pilot i have experianced to much. But i have had lots of FUN. Night IMC, punching through a top layer of clouds at night in ORD airspace at 8pm at 090 feet is an AWSOME few.

Flew a cross country trip at night in an archer from Chicago to Fort Worth, Tx when i only had 70 hours TT....then back the very next day, that has to be the most memerable.

5 years ago got a ride in a skybolt (bi plane tail dragger). Pilot was an ex F-16 pilot and a captain on an MD-80, ill remember it forever because he tragically died in that airplane about 2 years later. He had an engine failure on TO and when he landed on a road we went into a ditch and hit a tree. Sorry for the downer but this is aviation and that man made an impression on me that will last a lifetime. RIP.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back