What was your best flight ever?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Best Flight

10-26-1991 C172 over my dad's plowed field were I had 40 foot white letters that said "WILL YOU MARRY ME". She said yes and two boys and a 10 year Anniversary behind me life is still good.

KliingonLRDRVR

When I was a USAF Electronic Warfare officer I converted from the F-4G to the EF-111A Raven. To get to the Raven, I first had to qualify on the F-111A fighter-bomber.

I came to the F-111 school pretty arrogant, and I way underestimated the effort that would be required. The F-4G had a very powerful electronic warfare system, but as an airplane the F-4 isn't a whole lot more complicated than a Harley Davidison. It's two motors, push forward to go fast, pull back to go slow. It had a primitive autopilot, a simple INS and radar, and a very simple weapons computer that was seldom used, since pilots could drop better bombs manually. Plus, the F-4 is really a single pilot airplane, with the back seater more of a system operator.

The F-111 was a much, much,more complicated airplane, and was designed from the ground up as a two pilot airplane. It had very complicated systems which included three radars, swinging wings, and the ability to fly night IMC at 200' and 500 knots. Unlike the F-4, the F-111 WSO sets up the weapons and in many cases releases the bombs. And the F-111 flew very long high speed low levels, and we were expected to time everything so that bomb impact was within +/- 30 seconds of the planned time. On training missions we alternated between nuclear and conventional deliveries, in order to maximize switch confusion.

By the time it dawned on me that I'd better get serious about the training, I was well behind the power curve and had a couple of pretty marginal rides, including one in which I got lost (considered poor form for a navigator).

But for some reason, on the day of my checkride, I woke up and just understood the airplane. All of sudden, I just knew that I could do this mission.

I aced the oral, and the three hour checkride was perfect, the most perfect flight I've ever had. I didn't miss a switch, a radio call, or a turnpoint. My first bomb was within 10 seconds of planned. Every bomb was qualifying. I ran through the complex checklists with no problems. None of the simulated emergencies threw me. The evaluator didn't write anything up, it was a perfect ride.

I don't know how it happened, but on that day I was the hottest WSO in the fleet!

Jim

Ride home on World Airways L1011 after umpteen weeks of h*ll wanting to get home after Gulf War. Rode back from Dahran with a bunch of other soldiers and fellow FACs anxious to get home.

"Leaving Saudi Airspace" call got crowd estatic.

World had a 4-6 hour video program of snippets from things we might have missed during war...SNL clips, comedy specials, music videos, etc. To this day I still have a crush on Patty Loveless after watching her singing "I'm that kind of girl" on a music video on the way home. She along with some other country (and rock) stars had "thanks for serving" spiels, then they would flow into th video clip.

I'll be those sweet FAs had a 1000 marriage proposals those months they were taking the troops home--they could do absolutely no wrong!

Bunch of great Eagle sorties...but that ride home is still one of my "best" flights...even if someone else got to do the flying that day.

Viewing those lovely towers!

My best flight used to occur almost every Friday night (Sat morn.) at around 1am. It was 1995 and my normal bank check run in a 310R (callsign Cokie 907) was from Teterboro to Islip via Northeast Philly but on Fridays it was truncated to go directly from TEB to ISP as a Part 91 reposition flight. I'd request the Class B clearance from TEB tower and Vinnie would clear me to go "direct the George Washington Bridge at 1,000 feet or less".

I'd level the ole "Long Nose" at about 700 agl and as soon as I was handed off to LGA tower, I'd ask for clearance to transition the Class B. That place is the dead zone at 1am on a Saturday morning except for an occasional "Skibble" or "Fredex" so the controllers would approve anything I wanted. I'd circle Yankee Stadium then depart southbound along the Henry Hudson Parkway to CIRCLE THE TWIN TOWERS AT 700 AGL. Oh what a lovely sight indeed to see those magnificent towers off my wingtip at perhaps 1,000 feet or less. After circling them 3 or 4 times I would go to Times Square and loiter on station to observe the massive hustle and bustle for a few more minutes. Other nights I might circle "the Lady" at 500 feet or some other point of interest but it was hard to keep from being fixated on those lovely towers which dominated the landscape.

I remember thinking how lucky I was to be experiencing this as a result of my flying career. Now, I thank God for the privelage of doing something that nobody will ever be able to do again.

Half the fun in this career IS getting there!

best fun flight yet...

In 1988 I flew a helicopter from coast to coast. WHat a blast!

As we took off from CA I headed west, out over the Pacific, did a 180 and then headed east....

With 28.5 hours of flying, 10 days and AZ, NM, TX, MS, AL, GA, SC & NC behind us - we touched down at Ft. Eustis, VA. after flying out over the Atlantic in CHS.

My average altitude was approx. 100' AHO - airspeed ranged from 0 to 175KTS.... we met some of the most amazing & patriotic people from the heartland of this awesome country!

Most of our fuel stops had never seen an AH-1(S) Cobra... some remembered having a Cobra save their butts in a rice patty in SE Asia, dozens of people showed up to the airports just to meet us and see what we were doing. It was really a great time.... chasing cows, pigs, antelope and farmers on tractors was a blast!!

There was one other flight @ FL390 when I crawled into the back of a LR-35 with my girlfriend..... also fun, but in a different way than the coast-to-coast Cobra adventure!!!!:D

Nice thread - thanks for askin' Paul.... Tred

Last edited:
thirty something

Cold, clear February day in Missouri, ferrying an old Waco from St Louis to Springfield, Missouri, hunkered down in back, trying to stay warm... I see something move off the left side, and a Ford tri-motor pulls up and stays alongside for a few minuites... we all wave and laugh... like being in the 30's for a while

Best flights

Well I have 3 that sit on the top of the list.

When I was on active duty in the Air Force (enlisted- Egress troop) I had an opportunity to get a ride in an F-16, TWICE.

The first came while or Squadron was deployed to Decimomanu, Sardinia. Due to me being assigned to a Maintenance Squadron and deplayed with the Fighter Squadron we were like the orphan in an unfamiliar family. Well if you go on a few TDY's with a squadron that feeling changes a bit. Anyway, The Fighter Squadron commander came looking for me and I was told I made Senior Airman Below the Zone (early promotion due to over and beyond duty - Good airman with no screw-ups and good performance reviews) and he said to go to life support and get fitted (Flightgear) I was going up in 2 hrs.

Wooo Hoooo!

We took off in max climb then went out into the Adriatic and did all kinds of stuff. (loops, 9g turns, ect) I also flew it and it was so fun. (40 min ride.)

Allmost 2 years later while Deployed to Kenitra, Morocco, I was STEP promoted to Staff Sgt, again I recieved the word I was going to get another flight in an F-16.

This time we were canyon hopping over the mountains and flying low-level over the desert. We did a few maneuvers then had a mock dog fight with a Moroccan F-5. This time the flight was almost an hour and a half long.

Man, I saw why it is important to stay in shape flying a fighter. You could get worn out fast. I was not used to all of the stuff we did and my legs felt like jello when we landed and I am in good shape.

My last best flight was the day I first soloed, My folks had more family and friends there than I could count. We had a huge party. When I passed my PPL they did it again. What a blast.

Aviation has always been a dream of mine and I got to fulfill 2 of my dreams: Fly in a fighter and become a pilot myself.

WOO HOOO!!!

Happy skies,

TXPILOT

OK guys, here's my disclaimer: I know this is a REALLY OLD thread...I just stumbled upon it while updating my profile....but some of these stories are AWESOME. I would like to refresh this idea. So I'm admitting pride in ownership, but I'd like to hear some more stories!

I realized that, after I started this thread, I never finished reading all the posts...I think it's because my wife went into labor on the 15th of September 2002 (about the date of the last post) and my beautiful daughter was born on that day :) SO... I was probably a little distracted and would have been shot if I turned on the computer for the next, oh, six months or so :)

So in the Spirit of great Aviation Lore and Mojo, I offer this BUMP!!! Good day, and I look forward to reading your new stories!

Cheers,
HP

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back