• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EatSleepFly said:
Man, that's impressive!

Thanks for the info, Lead Sled.

Unfortunately, the first Baron that I was ever in was a 56TC. We called it a Tom Cat Baron. Unfortunate? After getting into the other Barons it was something like B.B. King's old song "The thrill is gone."

www.bdkingpress.com

BD King said:
Champion Lancer. Yeah. One with JATO. Bet nobody asks what the hell a Lancer was.
There you go. The Lancer has my vote. I actually saw one in a hangar not too long ago.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
There you go. The Lancer has my vote. I actually saw one in a hangar not too long ago.

'Sled

Really? I always thought that Champion lost a market by not hanging a couple of O-320's, or something similar, on them and putting them on floats for multi-engine seaplane ratings.

www.bdkingpress.com

BD King said:
Unfortunately, the first Baron that I was ever in was a 56TC. We called it a Tom Cat Baron. Unfortunate? After getting into the other Barons it was something like B.B. King's old song "The thrill is gone."
You got that right. It was the only light twin I ever flew that had a Vmcg that you had to take seriously. As someone once said, it climbed like a raped ape.

'Sled

BD King said:
Really? I always thought that Champion lost a market by not hanging a couple of O-320's, or something similar, on them and putting them on floats for multi-engine seaplane ratings.
No, I've only seen two or three of them and they all had 0-200 Continentals with fixed-pitch props.

Foy you guys who don't know what we're talking about think a twin-engined Citabria with fixed tricycle gear. The Front seat had a wheel, the back seat had a stick. The throttles were overhead ala Grumman Goose. It kinda sorta looked like a little two seat tandom BN Islander.

'Sled

EatSleepFly said:
Wouldn't a Duke w/ Baron engines be a better choice? ;)

I thought Duke's were big maintenance hogs because of the engines (are they geared, by the way?).

They look nice though.

If I were buying a twin, and money was not a huge factor, I'd definitely go for something Beechcraft.
Hahaha...the corporate outfit that had a DUKE based at the Shawano airport is bankrupt because of that airplane. I'd say that if you only had 80K to spend on a piston twin and you bought a DUKE with that money, you or your family will be filing bankruptcy within 1.5 years, if you still own that plane.

BD King said:
Champion Lancer. Yeah.

...mmmMAAN!! I forgot about those. Havn't seen one since the...60's?/70's?
Bet it would draw a pretty penny now just 'cause it's so rare.
Light Sport Twin??

Well, from your small, original list, I guess a Seneca is a decent plane. I have over 100 hours in them and it's a straight-forward plane. It might not be the hottest twin around and it might be about as sexy as a station wagon, but it's a decent trainer and good for some cross-country flying.

Of course, if you want a hotter piston twin, the P-38 Lightning would be an awesome choice! :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back