• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What to wear to interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This has little to do with interview attire, but it's a good story.

An acquantance of mine was upgrading to MD-80 captain at AA. All in his class were upgrading from F/O on several different airplanes. There was one 727 CA in the classs.

The first day of class had the former 727 CA saying "we didn't do it that way on the 727" to every other remark from the instructor. The next day, the instructor took the 727 guy into the hall and told him to knock it off because he wasn't in a 727 class...he was in a MD-80 class.

After the written was finished at the end of the course, another student asked about proper attire for the oral. The same instructor answered "Dress as confident as you feel!" The one who asked the question showed up in a tuxedo. His oral was done in an hour. Most others were dressed in coat and tie and passsed 60-90 minute orals.

The 727 guy show up in jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt. According to the story I was told, he had a six-hour oral. I never heard if he passed or not. My apologies to AA guys here...this was told to me about 10 years ago. I imagine things are done somewhat differently now.

BTW, I agree with most of the other posters here. A dark suit, white shirt and conservative tie are safe!

Good luck...Fly safe!

Piedmont interview...

I wouldn't worry one second about what to wear. The interview is very relaxed and they want you to be relaxed. Remember, you have to wear it all day, plus the flights home.

Good luck and go study the ATP written.

What to wear to an interview

My friend and I were searching for a suit that he could also wear to an airline interview and we were having some difficulty communicating the color of blue we wanted. There are at least 50 colors/ shades of dark blue. Finally I said to the man helping us "We need Airline Blue". He immediately knew what we needed . By the way my friend looks great in the suit.

For a female be sure your bra and thong are the same color. This will help you feel very coordinated...a term I have heard a lot while learing to fly.

Good luck to all of you searching for a job.

Nurse Pilot Barbie

I wore a white shirt with a black tie (my uniform tie...gasp!) to an interview. No suit. I was offered the job. Of course it was for non-scheduled 135 ops in a Brakillya...

Re: What to wear to an interview

My pop is an attorney and he told me about how annoyed he was at the fresh-from-lawschool interviewees. He said they all dressed identically, spoke with similar tonality, and even shared the same boring hand gestures. Obviously they'd all be prepped to convey an "attorney-like" image. My pop liked and hired the ones that broke from the mold and showed they could think for themselves.

Even though all airline pilots dress alike at work that doesn't mean interviewers want to see clones. Stop worrying about what shade of blue the suit is or how the lines of the tie criss-cross! As has been often repeated, just dress neatly and don't obsess about the details.

I wore a J. Garcia tie with green on it (my favorite color) and a non-descript blue-gray pinstripe suit. I'd lost a few pounds between buying the suit and the interview so it was a bit bulkier than I would've liked, but that's all I had so I went with it. As Garfield says, "Big, fat, hairy deal!"

Is this still the norm?

This post is a bit old, is everyone still wearing the same color, etc...

Re: Is this still the norm?

Habib said:
This post is a bit old, is everyone still wearing the same color, etc...

I wore a green suit, white shirt and green pattern tie to my interview. I know it sounds horrible, but it was actually a very nice shade of green and the entire ensamble did look very professional, it just wasn't what everyone else was wearing. I liked the suit so much I wore it in my new hire class photo.

I guess the moral of the story is that they are interviewing you, not your suit. Just wear something "professional" and don't worry about the colors. If they like you, you're hired, if they don't, the color of your tie won't get you the job

I wore a J. Garcia tie

Dude, I love those Garcia ties!

BTW, I.P.Freely, your avatar creeps the sh1t out of me.

Latest resources

Back