What to wear to interview?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Todd

I'd assume that a suit would be most appropriate but there are several styles and colors.

I was thinking a black suit with a blue shirt maybe. But how about single or double breasted? Does it really matter what color or type of suit one wears as long as you look at act professional during the interview?

Thanks for any thoughts

BTW the interview is with Piedmont

860TT? How much multi?

I can't help on the suit question, since I'm an airline wanna be. But I couldn't help myself from asking how much multi time you have. Also, how did you get your resume to them? I'm guessing someone walked it in for you.

Anyway, good luck with your interview!

Always go with the dark blue suit, white shirt, plain/boring/conservative maroon/red tie (red with thin blue stripes or something), dark blue socks, black shoes, black belt, and a tiger-print thong. This is good because the uniforms for almost all airline companys are dark blue, white shirt.

I second MJE's opinion, EXCEPT for the thong unless you plan on wearing skin-tight pants. It doesn't look good to have your underwear/boxer lining show. (LOL @ MJE, you almost slipped that by me.) You want to keep it simple, conservative, and professional. I wouldn't suggest trying to look different.

Last edited:
I showed up at an interview a few months ago with a blue suit and a yellow tie. I joked around because I was the only guy out of twenty in there who did not have a RED TIE. But hey...I got the job.

Hi!

What the third? guy said...Dark suit, white shirt, red tie, dark shoes-wingtips are probably best. I went to a Delta interview and ALL! 20 interviewees were dressed in this manner.

If you're a little off from this, no big deal. However, the further you stray from the norm, the more they will wonder what you're doing, and the less likely you are to get the job. At one interview I was at (ACA) a guy showed up dressed in a red plaid suit with some really funky tie, shoes and an armful of paperwork (no briefcase, bag, etc.). While he may have gotten the job (I didn't), I'm sure that it didn't help him.

Professional pilots need to be consistent and "down to earth". We are not artists, where individuality is required, so the closer to the "norm" you are the easier it is to get a job.

Good Luck!

Cliff
GB,WI

PS-How do you guys who've been furloughed for years and years do it? I've only been furloughed for 6 months, with at least 12 to go, and I'm going CRAZY! I really want to fly, and I don't have the money to do it myself!

Todd said:
I'd assume that a suit would be most appropriate but there are several styles and colors.

I was thinking a black suit with a blue shirt maybe. But how about single or double breasted? Does it really matter what color or type of suit one wears as long as you look at act professional during the interview?

Thanks for any thoughts

BTW the interview is with Piedmont

This is one of the oldest debates around.
There is much conjecture and urban legend about "fitting the mold". That's crap. As long as you look neat and PROFESSIONAL it doesn't matter what you wear. Does that mean show up looking like Austin Powers? Of course not. Just consider what pilots look like... you want them to visualize you in that motif. Wear something conservative (suit), black or Navy Blue. Style doesn't matter. Wear any tie you want; don't listen to that red tie crap.
The most important thing is to be comfortable. Wear the suit around a bit to get comfortable in it. You don't want to wear it for the first time in your interview.

Your clothes matter little. They aren't going to not hire you because they don't like your suit (unless it's so obnoxious that it says something about your judgement). You wouldn't want to work for a co. that did anyhow, right?

I've been through 5 airline interviews and had 4 job offers from them. The one I didn't get was my first and I tried to tell them what they wanted to hear. They can see right through that.
Most important is to go in and be 100% honest. Avoid "canned" answers like you'll get on "gouge" sites. They've heard them all.
You're interviewing them as well as them you. Don't B.S. them to tell them what you think they want to hear... tell them about you and why they should hire you. If you BS and get hired you may end up working in a corporate culture incompatible with you, and that makes for a very unhappy job.
If you fit their culture, you'll do fine. If you don't it wasn't meant to be... go elsewhere.

Good luck.

Exactly.

I think IFly is right on the money.

I have somehow gotten three airline jobs without a blue suit or solid red tie... Mine was *gasp* GREY with thin blue stripes... Not like a zoot suit, mind you, but very conservative. I love that suit. :)

Furthermore, my favorite interview tie has red and blue angular stripes, each about an inch wide.

Look... As long as you are dressed professionally, just about any company worth working for isn't going to hold it against you if you aren't wearing a standard blue airline suit... Except maybe CoEx, and trust me, you aren't going to be interviewed THERE anytime soon. :) Anywhere that won't hire you because of your suit is probably not somewhere you want to work anyway.

As for tiger print thongs, I am partial to a thong that matches my tie. When you are coordinated, even if noone can see it, you feel... Well, pretty. :)

Good luck on your interview.

I'm with IFFF. If people spent as much time studying the AIM and their Jepps as they did worrying about the suit they are wearing, they'd be better off.

The color of the tie doesn't matter so much, although I try to wear one that has they airline's colors in it. The truth is, I bet if you asked an interviewer at the end of the day what color tie the first guy was wearing, he'd have no clue. Look professional, Act Professional, and know your stuff.

Latest resources

Back