Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saviboy

Hi
I fly a light turboprop for a 121 airline.

I have about 500 PIC and am thinking about the next move.

Of course I'd like it to be for a major airline as most of them are currently

recalling furloughees and hopefully will be hiring next year.

I don t like flying for the airline I work for currently and would like to leave as soon as i reach 1000 pic.

My idea is to get jet experience or heavy turboprop to make myself more competitive as i wait for a good opportunity.

I would then be an jet F/O with 1000 hours of light turboprop 121 pic looking for a job instead of being a light turboprop captain looking for a job

which position would be best?
thanks

I flew a Metro 3 (SA227) for Merlin Express for a bit. I absolutely would stay where you are. The only thing I may consider is passenger experience - is it pax or cargo?

I got on with UAL flying J32s as a captain - no jet experience. The story telling you gather as a captain is paramount in interviews. Whenever something happens, a disagreement with dispatch, a crew scheduling issue, a mechanical, a crew disageement, anything like that, write it down. When you get an interview, you will have plenty to pull from, and your experience will outweigh what type airplane it was on.

Hope that helps!
Randy

I flew a Metro 3 (SA227) for Merlin Express for a bit. I absolutely would stay where you are. The only thing I may consider is passenger experience - is it pax or cargo?

I got on with UAL flying J32s as a captain - no jet experience. The story telling you gather as a captain is paramount in interviews. Whenever something happens, a disagreement with dispatch, a crew scheduling issue, a mechanical, a crew disageement, anything like that, write it down. When you get an interview, you will have plenty to pull from, and your experience will outweigh what type airplane it was on.

Hope that helps!
Randy

thanks. I will start writing. its a pax operation

If you have that 1000 PIC turbine required for job apps (or 1300 in one case), consider getting some heavy time somewhere. As much as it may suck, consider going to a non-sched or charter operation that flys big equipment. Gemini, World, Kalitta, Southern, ect.

1000 PIC is great, but I can't even tell you how many guys I flew with pre-9/11 when the hiring was bat sh1t crfazy that had more than 1 type and 1000 PIC+ and still couldn't get a call back.

No skeletons, had internal recs, ect.

A grand of TPIC is worth something but most majors use some kind of computer program and most of those resume limits require some sort of jet time or the magic box wont even look at you. I have around 2500 TPIC. Of course its all in the Caravan and completely worthless.

Latest resources

Back