• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What to Bring to Training?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well shoot, wish I could join you. Guess I missed the boat this time around. Another thing to add: Study your tail off, but GO TO SLEEP! Get back to your room, take a few deep breaths, get dinner, and then get your head in the books. But once it's "bedtime" just go to sleep, even if you haven't covered everything you wanted to. The extra few hours of study that could be gained by sacrificing sleep are not worth it. They won't be very productive after a long day, and when you're zonking out in class the next day you're really screwed. I saw one guy up til 2 or 3 every morning, working really hard. Trouble is he wasn't even coherent in the morning. He was so tired he had trouble carrying on a basic conversation. He struggled through academically, but the huge sleep deficit he had accrued caught up to him while trying to sleep during the day for his 4am simulator sessions. That's when it really went bad.

Cardinal said:
Well shoot, wish I could join you. Guess I missed the boat this time around. Another thing to add: Study your tail off, but GO TO SLEEP! Get back to your room, take a few deep breaths, get dinner, and then get your head in the books. But once it's "bedtime" just go to sleep, even if you haven't covered everything you wanted to. The extra few hours of study that could be gained by sacrificing sleep are not worth it. They won't be very productive after a long day, and when you're zonking out in class the next day you're really screwed. I saw one guy up til 2 or 3 every morning, working really hard. Trouble is he wasn't even coherent in the morning. He was so tired he had trouble carrying on a basic conversation. He struggled through academically, but the huge sleep deficit he had accrued caught up to him while trying to sleep during the day for his 4am simulator sessions. That's when it really went bad.

Very good observations. I had something similar happen to me. Got though it but it wasn't pretty. My solution....Make some time of excercise and sleep and some social activity. You get more done during study sessions that way. Try to keep your normal sleep/wake cycle.

when it's test time the only thing you need is...

cooperate graduate.

take a breath, enjoy the fun. Make sure you make time to go out and have beers with your friends. It's not all about studying. Enjoy it.

Pencils, pens, cards are all good suggestions. I believe the best one is yourself. Bring yourself or all other things are useless. Oh and BTW, DON'T BE LATE!! You will love the 1900. It's a fine animal to fly. Probably the last airplane that you will fly hands-on all the time.

Good luck!!

A baseball hat to make it easier for your eyes to wonder during your systems tests.

I ditto what Diesel says...

Pay attention in classes, concentrate on the important stuff (its not ALL important).

Do not hibernate after classses and study. Dont forget to work out at a lcoal gym (not the hotel) and get out for a few beers....it does wonders...

Have fun, its not as hard as people make it out to be......

Gulfstream 200 said:
Have fun, its not as hard as people make it out to be......

I dunno, all the 121 and Flight Ops Manual stuff covered in Indoc was a pain in my rear. Much of it had only tenuous relevance and little with which to associate it. Systems for the airplane wasn't too bad, despite the quantity of information. Stephen, what will amaze you is how many really freakin smart people they manage to gather together in one room. I was continually impressed with my classmates.

Dude, one thing you should absolutely not forget.....BEER MONEY!
It's amazing how easy it is to learn systems playing "Stump the Chump" with your buddies over frothy pitchers of God's nectar...

Cardinal said:
I dunno, all the 121 and Flight Ops Manual stuff covered in Indoc was a pain in my rear. Much of it had only tenuous relevance and little with which to associate it. Systems for the airplane wasn't too bad, despite the quantity of information. Stephen, what will amaze you is how many really freakin smart people they manage to gather together in one room. I was continually impressed with my classmates.

What's hard initially is determining what is important and what is the "gee-whiz" stuff you can de-emphasize. The hard part for me was not knowing and getting lost in a bunch af factoids. The oral and flight test weren't so bad but figuring out how to prepare and the uncertainty was stressful. Talk to someone that just went through training before you to get a sense of how deep you need to go so you can prioritize properly.

Latest resources

Back