• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What the hell is a 9E legacy pilot?!?!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An American, United, or Delta pilot who wears a slightly wider than normal size 9 shoe.

Kit Darby

Last edited:
Someone actually hired by Pinnacle.

Legacy CA: Placeholder for displaced Colgan and Mesaba SF3 CA's
Legacy FO: Un-Paid IOE pilot for displaced Colgan and Mesaba SF3 CA's

Very funny. But I must say that it is not lost by many of us former "Saab Captains" (Block category 3 mesaba-I have been on the jet for 5 years) that my old seniority number would have almost been hight enough to hold Jet captain if we had remained separate. Oh in case you are clueless on this point. With the new Delta pilot contract (crj 200's will be gone)and the parking of all the Colgan Q's and Saabs and 9E 900's because of Pinnacle's inept management most of Mesaba's pilots would have been watching as all Colgan and Pinnacle pilots were on the street while their planes disappeared. But in ALPA's Block award now I will be on the street while my seniority was given to Pinnacle and Colgan captains. Mark my words that at Pinnacle there will only be the Mesaba 900's flying by 2015. I laughed at the last union meeting I attended when they said we were better off united instead of being three separate pilot groups. Better for who i ask? Not for me or many of the other Mesaba pilots (except category 1, they are the untouchables)

Much like Mesaba wouldn't survive as a 49 Saab airline, Pinnacle won't survive as a 40ish 900 airline. While I share your sentiments xjhawk, I bet Pinnacle will get a ratio to replace 200's. Still not good, but better than just the Mesaba 900's. I think its funny that "Legacy 9e" stands to lose more aircraft than Mesaba and Colgan combined when all is said and done. Especially after all this "we saved your job" crap that is currently being spewed. I remember the good ole arguments during sli that "9e legacy" pilots were saying the 200's were "locked in" until 2017. Ahhh, the good old days.

Very funny. But I must say that it is not lost by many of us former "Saab Captains" (Block category 3 mesaba-I have been on the jet for 5 years) that my old seniority number would have almost been hight enough to hold Jet captain if we had remained separate. Oh in case you are clueless on this point. With the new Delta pilot contract (crj 200's will be gone)and the parking of all the Colgan Q's and Saabs and 9E 900's because of Pinnacle's inept management most of Mesaba's pilots would have been watching as all Colgan and Pinnacle pilots were on the street while their planes disappeared. But in ALPA's Block award now I will be on the street while my seniority was given to Pinnacle and Colgan captains. Mark my words that at Pinnacle there will only be the Mesaba 900's flying by 2015. I laughed at the last union meeting I attended when they said we were better off united instead of being three separate pilot groups. Better for who i ask? Not for me or many of the other Mesaba pilots (except category 1, they are the untouchables)

Would you like some cheese with that whine? Seriously, its getting old.

Much like Mesaba wouldn't survive as a 49 Saab airline, Pinnacle won't survive as a 40ish 900 airline. While I share your sentiments xjhawk, I bet Pinnacle will get a ratio to replace 200's. Still not good, but better than just the Mesaba 900's. I think its funny that "Legacy 9e" stands to lose more aircraft than Mesaba and Colgan combined when all is said and done. Especially after all this "we saved your job" crap that is currently being spewed.
Yes, but you can't say that proportionately speaking. For example, Colgan is outright disappearing. Proportionately, that is a 100% loss of flying at Colgan. So what if it's only 60 turboprops total that are gone? The net loss is 100% of the entire operation. I believe Mesaba lost 39 Saabs, while keeping 41+19 = 60 CRJs. 60/99 = about a 40% loss of total fleet. So far, the only guaranteed Pinnacle cut is 16 CRJs out of 157. The -200 cuts will be massive, but the exact amount isn't known. Proportionately, Pinnacle pilots have so far had the least fleet cuts. In fact, the first CRJ hasn't even left property yet, and won't until Jan 2013 when the first ATL CRJ-900 leaves. But as of September this year, all Mesaba Saabs, all Colgan Saabs, and all Colgan Qs are already gone. IMO, that's a difference worth nothing.

I remember the good ole arguments during sli that "9e legacy" pilots were saying the 200's were "locked in" until 2017. Ahhh, the good old days.
Nothing is "locked in" when it comes to Delta! My points were only regarding short term lookout. I never dared for the long term, but I knew that 2017 was the latest deadline for the CRJ-200s. Short term, Mesaba Saab pilots, Colgan Saab pilots, and now Colgan Q pilots are all being absorbed by Pinnacle aircraft at a loss of current Pinnacle pilot positions.

The real question is, will the quota be held true for displacements? If so, Mesaba's most junior Captain will be physically junior than other 9E -900 captains losing their ATL base. "No pilot may be awarded or displaced unless mesaba maintains 279 CRJ-900 Captain positions......"

I think the wording is pretty clear, and this isn't going to go well!

Latest resources

Back