What State is the best to start in??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CaptO'Brien

I am willing to move anywhere when i look for my first job..what seems to be the most open market for starting jobs (which State?)...maybe Alaska? do not many people want to move there for a job..... leaving openings for the rookies? Just kinda curious as to where would be the most job openings...seems like everyone would want to live in florida or somwhere nice...so more experienced pilots would go down there and take the better jobs and the rookes would work there way up in the not so nice places....I already live in Canada now so i wouldnt mind moving more north to Alaska to beat out having to work the ramp in Tuktayuktuk (haha yea thats actually a real place )...any imput would be appreciated...Thanks!:)

Screw Alaska! Move to Virginia and Trans States! Go Hulas!

Man I know zilch about flying in Alaska, but from what I have heard; 240 hours + Alaska Flying is not a good combination. I guess alot of it has to do with what your ultimate goals are. I did incredibly well for myself by networking while pumping gas.

CitationXDriver said:
I did incredibly well for myself by <b>networking</b> while pumping gas.

Thats the truth right there. Best way to get anywhere in this industry (and most others). Be around people who are where you want to be next . Loading bags for UAL won't be likely to hook up the job leads, but driving te fuel truck for the local FBO out to every aircraft operator passing through the field will. Some homemade (but proffesional looking) buisness cards wouldn't hurt either. As far as states are concerned, those with large number s of pilot factories probably have a bigger glut of CFIs, but beyond that, the key is to be flexible.

Capt O Brien, Don't go to alaska looking for work with 250 TT trust me, I know, you will be competing with guys that have 1000 or better I wouldn't consider alaska until you have 135 mins at least, start instructing or dumping jumpers or flying pipe, just fly, anything for anybody, you really just have to find some operator you want to work for and stick your head in the door everyday, until finally when they have an opening you just happen to be standing there. What about the school you got your ratings at, do they need a CFI.

I know about 6 months ago, Texas was a real hotbed for new pilots.

Particularly Dallas, and Houston. Lots of airports around those areas, and plenty of flight schools creating many jobs for the new CFI.

Also my personal opinion is that Texas is a great place to live. I'd live in Dallas before I'd move to Houston - although you'd be closer to the coast if you lived in Houston.

Get a CFI gig close to close to your career goal and get a part time job to get a foot in the door.

For example. If you would like to work for FedEx, get a CFI job in Memphis, TN (or any other hub) and get a part time job lifting boxes. Network, Network, Network!

Good luck!:)

Definitely not NC.

I'm old, not too smart, and I'm a lousy pilot ... and so I don't need the competition. :(

Minhberg the Hun

Last edited:
Most pilots live in a state of denial. :D

If you want to go to the airlines it isn't going to matter where you instruct although you might want somewhere warm so as to be able to fly more during the winter. If you want to go corporate or charter instruct near where you would like your first corp/charter job to be. That way your networking can be with the people who matter. Once you start flying around the country where you live will again count less as you'll be able to meet people from a much broader sample of the industry.

Latest resources

Back