• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetracer5

This would be the easiest way to bring our QOL to a fair level

1) Keep your airlines current pay scales
2) Fix the FAA rest/duty time requirements ( 12hrs on 12hrs off)

And here's what would help us all out
Number 4) At least minumum wage for duty time. We deserve to be paid something while we are sitting around at the airlines request. We have to be there so we might as well be getting paid for it.

how about stopping the outsourcing of mainline flying. vicious circle this outsourcing. 10+ years ago when I was flying 135 looking for my first 121 commuter gig mesa/coex and eagle were the flavors of the year. Look at them now. currently it is republic, in 7 or so years it will be someone else and the previous outsource airline of choice will be stagnant and furloughing for those unlucky enough to be in the bottom half of the seniority list. and on and on and on......

Solution: Ban outsourcing of branded flying to contract/subsidiarys.

Continental: "Oh that wasn't a continental flight. no no. that was a COLGAN flight. Totally different.":pimp: /wash hands.

Last edited:
Lets go back to regulation. Life was good for a few pilots under regulation. There are probably 4-5 times as many pilot’s jobs now as there was in 1977. Back in reg time it was about 90% military that went to the majors. Dereg opened up a lot of airline job to non-military pilots. To return to regulation would raise ticket prices, reduce the number of passengers, and therefore reduce the number of pilots needed. BTW SWA the low cost provider has near the top wages, this was done under de-reg. Flying is still a great way to make a living, pilots are not doctor's, if you want to be treated like a doctor finish med school, pilots are not wall street CEO's, if you want to be a wall street CEO, get into one the top 10 MBA's school. You are pilot you fly airplanes, if you like doing that you are probably happy. If not you are in the wrong line of work.

How about your company must be owned by whatever logo is on your tail? No more flying for 10 carriers, and if Continental Airlines actually owned and operated the Q400s then maybe they would take a more vested interest in the safety/QOL than a smaller regional fighting for business.

P.S. Im just learning to read and I saw Jar Jar posted the same thoughts previously, my bad! :)

How about your company must be owned by whatever logo is on your tail? No more flying for 10 carriers, and if Continental Airlines actually owned and operated the Q400s then maybe they would take a more vested interest in the safety/QOL than a smaller regional fighting for business.

P.S. Im just learning to read and I saw Jar Jar posted the same thoughts previously, my bad! :)

Well, Continental owns all of Expressjet EMB 145 aircraft. They lease them to Expressjet. What happens one day when Expressjet managment is not willing to fly for the $ CAL wants so CAL leases all of them to Skywest to use?

It almost happened already and those $100,000 captain will be looking at $16k jobs again!

if you keep your current pay rates and reduce the duty day, you're going to make less money. Management wants to reduce cost, but there's go to be a away to get some increases in QOL without making it more expensive.

current payrates for duty time, not flight time. Pay raise and the company will be dying to make our schedules more efficient.

Lets go back to regulation. Life was good for a few pilots under regulation. There are probably 4-5 times as many pilot’s jobs now as there was in 1977. Back in reg time it was about 90% military that went to the majors. Dereg opened up a lot of airline job to non-military pilots. To return to regulation would raise ticket prices, reduce the number of passengers, and therefore reduce the number of pilots needed. BTW SWA the low cost provider has near the top wages, this was done under de-reg. Flying is still a great way to make a living, pilots are not doctor's, if you want to be treated like a doctor finish med school, pilots are not wall street CEO's, if you want to be a wall street CEO, get into one the top 10 MBA's school. You are pilot you fly airplanes, if you like doing that you are probably happy. If not you are in the wrong line of work.

This kind of post is pathetic and anti-professional pilot as it brings about the expectation that it's really just a hobby that you're getting paid for. Thanks grandpa, I'm sure all the young' ens can learn a lot from a fleet standards MANAGER who's trying to tell all the underlings not to expect much in wages. Glad you learned to fly in a Cub at $5 an hour, but to bring you up to speed, most schools around the nation are charging a hundred grand give or take 50 to get the appropriate training. I just picture you on your days off in rocker chair in the rural backwoods sipping ice tea and believing every pilot should live like that.

Latest resources

Back