• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

what plane to buy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My full fuel useful load is 835 lbs (including pilot). Fuel burn is 100gph. Plan on 3 hours with NBAA reserves. Cessna number is 1150 NM with reserves. Airplane climbs well and you can use higher cruise altitudes unless ISA is +15 or more. TAS is 350+ at ISA and FL370.

Good mission for the P180, 370 true at FL330. Roughly the same numbers as the mustang, but a foot bigger cabin all the way around.

The purchase price will be sticker shock though for a new operator. Probably go with the 90 and upgrade later.

don't forget insurance requirments. Cost could be a factor. If you're not experienced in the airplane, you'll have to pay for a "mentor" to ride along while you build insurance time.

The real question is "how much is the owner willing to spend while it's NOT flying?"

I probably sound like a broken record, but you should look at the Metro III/Merlin IVc.

The operating cost is less than a King Air 90. It is faster than any 90 that doesn't have the engine upgrades. It has a ton of room for people and baggage. It has very long legs. The initial start up cost is cheap, barely more than a brand new Baron.

However, if the only aircraft you are interested in is the 90 or the Mustang, go with the Mustang. It is cheaper and faster. Of course, you could buy an older 501 or 551 and it is still cheaper than any King Air and you can buy it now.

Fuel burn and maintenance on the 501 or 551 will be significantly more expensive. Mustang is more initial investment. "Pay me now or pay me later." The mustang will have much higher re-sale value though.

Latest resources

Back