Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
I saw a twin engine high wing fixed gear airplane takeoff at my airport a few days ago. Looks similar to the Cessna 337 but had a engine on each wing. Looked to be a 4-6 seater. Anyone know what plane this is?

Steve,
You may want to check out <airliners.net> plenty of aircraft pictures for your research. You may be looking at a Twin Otter (DH-6) but your description was a bit vague.

iludiumq36.
I was about to post about a strange little fixed gear high wing twin here at Craig field also, you nailed it on the head when I searched it.
The co flying it does some kind of survey with that and a few 210's...has a rod with a wire hanging off the back.
Neat little multi, don't know how fast it can go with 0-360's on it..looks heavy.

Regards'
---T-hawk

Yeah, I've seen them up and down the Florida Panhandle. The pilots wear jumpsuits with a litttle "A" symbol on them. Some kind of engineering company. I saw an ad looking for pilots to fly them.

They are doing FCC signal leakage tests.

Basically they are flying grid patterns over cities looking for folks stealing cable TV.

For the life of me I can't remember their name. The other major player is FlightTrac, they fly duchess', centurions, and skymasters.

I used to do CFL checks on the ground, if I knew they were doing them in the air, I would changes jobs and do them in a heart beat.

Cable RF emissions are extemely low, and stealing cable service wouldn't produce any more leakage than a legit hookup.

Did you possibly mean field strength testing?

Yes, sometimes people stealing cable can create huge problems.
Like the guy who spliced into his neighbors cable and used plain copper wire to run it to his house. That is one huge beacon just emitting RF.

Check out this website for more information.

http://www.flighttrac.com/

While it is possible for someone stealing cable to be that stupid, it is rare. A poor job would almost certainly overload a line amp, narrowing the search area.

Most thefts are of the "hacker" variety, from a knowlegeable background, or or from those who seek the advice of a friend who has the expertise. Coax and F connectors are available at the store. Why anyone would resort to a search by air for theft is beyond imagination. It is understandable that an air survey makes sense for defective components in the system. That would be a good way to discover signal egress.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back