Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just 2 things here:

A) this is goin nowhere and B)

"one of the things separating the regional from the majors is the regionals do not require a 4 yr degree to get interviewed or hired."

Yip where do you get your info from?

another thing that separates the regionals from the majors:

If it loses 3 billion dollars a quarter, it's a major.

If it's furloughing, chances are, it's a major. (i know.. swa not included)

Bankruptcy... yup, a major.. Airways not included

If you are bitching about those meddling kids and their mini jets, yup... again, it;s a major

finally, If you have no retirement... again.. you might be a major

It's very simple

You know you're a regional if:

1. You don't control your own destiny (i.e. someone else tells you where to fly)

2. You work twice as hard as a major airline pilot.

3. You get paid a third as much as a major airline pilot.

It aint no more complicated than that!

SLEEPY!! YOU ARE FULL OF CR@P!!

I know Four people working for ASA without a Four Year Degree!! Please inform yourself before making stupid comments!!:mad:

FEDUPPILOT said:
I know Four people working for ASA without a Four Year Degree!! Please inform yourself before making stupid comments!!:mad:
I know more than four. I don't know what he's talking about either. He may be saying that in this market, with all the competition, the degreed candidate will be hired over the otherwise equal competition.

Remember, just having a degree does not in and of itself make you a competent pilot; nor does it necessarily make you a smart person. Some of the spelling, syntax and grammar I see around here (and I'm not talking typos) is horrific. If I'm in charge of hiring and I see a resume with errors like that, I'm not hiring you...degree or no degree. Yeah, yeah. I've heard the arguments: "It's just a message board! You get the idea!" That may be true, but from what I've seen, it's clear that many folks around here would do the same thing on paper.

Re: SLEEPY!! YOU ARE FULL OF CR@P!!

FEDUPPILOT said:

Yea, I know some too sh!t for brains, but were they hired lately? Who cares about the past, this is an information board for those who are trting to get hired now. The degree doesn't really mean anything though. I have flow with some great pilots that did not have a college degree. I 'll take them over some 200 hour Embry-Riddle punk any day.

Let's see, ASA is a Regional Airline, but my latest Jepp updated added SFO, SLC, LAX, DEN, and SAN. Not to mention that we fly to MMMY, CYUL, and CYYZ. These places are all in the Southeast region, right?

Look at the published 'requirements' for each particular airline. If it says 4 Year Degree Prefered, that is exactly what it means. 'PREFERED'!! Not required. Which means that if they like you and you pass all other aspects of the interview, they will or will not offer you a job. The last time I looked, DAL and FDX were the only ones who 'required' it. I don't have a degree and did not when I interviewed. I was called the next day and asked when was the soonest I could make a class. It amazes me that people don't bother to actually find things out before posting. I happen to have 18 yrs as an Air Traffic Contoller in Level 4 and 5 facilities (Tracon), several thousand hours of 121 large airplane, 3-crewmember, worldwide flying experience, but according to many DAL 'pilots', someone with 1000 hrs in little airplanes, but a degree in 'Underwater Basketweaving' is more 'qualified' to be a "Delta" pilot.
Ok, no problem! YOU fly with him.

RE: 4 year degree. Obtaining one demonstrates to potential employers that a person can set goals and complete them.

4 yr degees

4 yr degrees do not necessarily prove anything, you can a four degree from some institutions who are in the life expereince, "Pay your fee and get your B" classification. Not all 4 yr degrees are created equal. So if you are not geting a real 4 yr degree in something that has marketable skill in hopes of a major interview you are wasting yout time. If you want to be a pilot, get a degree in Nursing, that ay you can always get a job anywhere at decent pay, when you are between flying jobs. BTW FDX dos not require a 4 yr degree, they require a 4 -yr degree or eqivilent (SP?) experience. That being 1 yr college credit for 1 yrs Jet PIC, 2 yrs college credit for graduating from a military flt program.

According to the Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics (http://www.bts.gov) the definition of major airline is one whose annual revenues are at least $1 billion. A definition like this doesn't seem to fit completely though. I have heard some say that the better definition for the current group of airlines that fly regional jets should be called "Small Jet Providers" instead of "Regional" airline.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back