• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What makes a Regional Airline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was referring to a degree which actually requires you to attend classes in person, etc. Not something you get over the internet. This would all come out in an interview.

so because i dont have a 4 yr. degree, you think i cannot set and attain goals? My goal was to get to an airline as fast as possible...i got hired at 20...you dont have to have a 4 year degree to be able to set goals

T H A N K YOU!

SkyWestCRJPilot said:
According to the Department of Transportation, Bureau of Transportation Statistics (http://www.bts.gov) the definition of major airline is one whose annual revenues are at least $1 billion. A definition like this doesn't seem to fit completely though. I have heard some say that the better definition for the current group of airlines that fly regional jets should be called "Small Jet Providers" instead of "Regional" airline.

Finally, someone interested in answering my question.

~~~^~~~ you answered my question too;)

Thanks for the input guys, but I don't care about 4 yr degrees and 737 Type Ratings.... Dohhh, I think I just opened a new can of worms...

Rich!

Actually, the DOT definition of a major airline is over $1 Bil per year in "scheduled service revenue" which is why ATA took so long o be classified as a major. Although they sold over $1 Bil, part of it came from gubmint charters, which was not "schduled" service per se.

To me, though, "Major" v. "Regional" on this board, comes down to pay, equipment, and work rules. If you are making over $100./hr as captain, flying airplanes that seat over 100 pax, and have over half the month off, you are probably flying for a major!

Regional is just a management code word for low pay, and non-industry-standard contract language. Just after the Comair strike, our CEO sent us a memo calling us a "small jet operator" for the first time. Before that, he always said "regional." I'm suprized that people who are not management still even use these terms, as they don't mean the same thing they used to mean. Hope this helps.

Here is my story and I'm stickin to it!!!

I am so tired of hearing the major vs. regional, military vs. civilian , etc. thing!!!!

I have a 100% civilian background and will be applying to SWA very soon. If I get hired,,,,AWESOME!!! if not....well, I will try again.

Here is my theory...(If I ever get in recruitment at an airline)

If you are an idiot in a Cessna 172...you will be an idiot in a 777.

If you are a jerk in a EMB-120...you will be a jerk in a 737.

Good cockpit discipline happens/or not no matter which airplane you fly. I have been a captain on an Embraer Brasilia and have flown with guys that have anywhere from 300 hours to 6000+.

Some of the 300 hour guys were great!! And I know a 4500 hour guy that was not! Cockpit discipline/personality is what it is all about.

Flight time is only about 20-30% of what should qualify people for airline jobs. What about their customer service skills or concerns. CRM skills, natural flying ability, etc????

Lets face it. If you are an idiot/jerk you will be one whether civilian or military. I have flown with both types and can tell you that both are great and not so great....all at the same time.

SFR..formerly Shroth!!!!

SFR

I was having this same conversation today with a captain. It seems that the airline industry attracts psychos and a*%$oles, and they tend to make it to managemant, or to positions of power. This is probably because they aren't allowed to wear the pants in their spousal relationships, or they are just compensating for their own inadequacies in general.

Very noble of you to say that, but if you put up with all the crap that it takes to make it to management, or some other position of power, you will, more than likely, be of that mentality. It sux that there are people online that go out of theor way to make such a simple job soooooooo difficult. That's just the way I see it anyway..

SFR.....amen brother, you're right on the mark. When I was in the Brasilia it seemed almost all of the crews were very cool and laid back. In the jet there are many "sky gods." I've heard mainline is woarse.

Latest resources

Back