Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What kinds of flying "fun" have you or "your friends" engaged in?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Immelman

The threads with the video showing the guy having (dangerous) fun at low-levels next to the highway, and the video of the 0-G C172 vomet-comet dog got me thinking:

What sorts of stupid/fun s#it have you or "someone you heard about" done while flying?

I'll share first with one that was pretty mild and legal. Happened to a friend of mine, of course: high-noon on a nice day in a C172, about 1000AGL, flying on a course parallel to a straight two-lane highway. Looked down and saw the aircraft's shadow and the pilot thought "Boy, I can track the highway".... well once it was over the highway the pilot was passing cars at a good clip, and then thought "what about slow flight... there is a bit of headwind". Slowing down to 60mph IAS with the flaps out the cars were passing the shadow.. add some power, speed up a bit, and then planted the shadow over someone's car for a mile or two before breaking off and continuing on course.

Pretty juvenile, I know, but there have got to be quite a few more interesting stories from folks on this board. I may type a few more if there are some good responses.

Last edited:
Throw a partially unrolled roll of toilet paper out the window and then try to dive down and hit it. The unrolled portion acts as a streamer to keep it from falling too fast, sometimes it will just unroll all the way leaving a long strip of toilet paper slowly falling.... It makes people on the ground wonder what the heck is going on....

I er...I know a person who likes floating so...coming back from a cross country flight one day during the commercial training, I er....he/she/it went up to 7,000', got some airspeed up, pitched up for a Vx climb to 9,500' and then just as the airspeed was bleeding off pitched it down and went for a ride...

I heard it was a lot of fun.

...but I don't know for sure.......really....

-mini

(yeah I know it's not really "fun" for all of y'all out there, but...some of us are p*ssys)

I have a buddy that has a F33 Bonanza. We used to get down low, like 25 feet or so, and try to follow the railroad tracks, It was pretty fun, doing knife edge turns and stuff like that. try it!

I'll get mine (that I heard from a friend) in before this thread gets deleted...

Flying along one day fat dumb and happy at 8500 or so over Tenessee I saw an object out front that appeared to be getting big really fast. I thought it to be a small aircraft coming right at me since there was no apparent motion so I quickly rolled right and climbed. Saw it go by- it was a #@@#% kid's birthday party balloon made out of the silver fabric material. Time for some fun!

I turned around and flew right by it slower in my Warrior and identified the balloon as being a giraffe. D@mn giraffes. At first I thought it was lack of O2 but it was confirmed by another pass. That thing goes by quick! I figured I'd put it out of its misery before it gets sucked into a 737 turbine so I turned around yet again to try and run it over with the prop. Man those suckers are hard to hit! It took about 5 tries and finally I nicked it, that thing turned into a small cloud of aluminum foil streamer kind of like chaff from a military jet. I wonder if the radar lit up in the area for a few minutes. Upon postflight inspection no bits of balloon or string were noted. I handed the keys back to the flight school who rented the plane to me and smiled.

It was great. My friend told me so anyway.

flour bombs

Used to drop flour bombs at the local airport. The airport managers were cool with it as long as we cleaned up the mess. Tried to do all kinds of fancy calculations to make them drop at a perfect spot, but had the best luck just guessing.

Ive heard of guys in small helicopters hovering over train tracks at night and messing with the train driver by turning on the landing light.....heard thats lots of fun.

2 of my buddys got bored and decided to try to land a left main wheel of a 150 on top of the other buddys car. It worked...and they both are still here to tell about it.

The most fun thing I've done was to try to hit the wind tee with the tow rope. At the end of a day of towing gliders we would try to hit the wind tee with the tow rope once we dropped it. In order to win the metal loop had to be resting on the wind tee. If you got it to work out then the boss would buy you a case of beer. Sometimes we would tie some shoes together and put then on the tow hook and try to bomb the wind tee. That was good target practice. But man that thing is hard to hit.

minitour said:
I er...I know a person who likes floating so...coming back from a cross country flight one day during the commercial training, I er....he/she/it went up to 7,000', got some airspeed up, pitched up for a Vx climb to 9,500' and then just as the airspeed was bleeding off pitched it down and went for a ride...

I heard it was a lot of fun.

...but I don't know for sure.......really....

-mini

(yeah I know it's not really "fun" for all of y'all out there, but...some of us are p*ssys)

Sounds like a blast, but dosen't that become a problem with the gas and oil? I imagine the 0 G's would make all the fluids float up, ending up in burning some oil and geting air in the fuel line.

great cornholio said:
2 of my buddys got bored and decided to try to land a left main wheel of a 150 on top of the other buddys car. It worked...and they both are still here to tell about it.

I've always wanted to land a 150 on a semi. I'll give $5 to the first person who does that and shows me the video.

Ive done lots of dumbstuff. Some that im not going to do again, but other stuff that I do all the time. But nothing im going to post on here.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back