• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What kind of plane to purchase?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How will the depreciation be on an SR-20?
If he's looking at one for 150K, I'd say it's already done a lot of depreciating.

I used to fly with a flying club, it was a big chunk of money to join, but it saved me a lot. It was a pretty good comprimise between buying and regular renting. That and the club had high performance planes that the rental places didn't offer.

Got a question for ya, And I don't by any means mean to come off like an @$$hat, by why the stiffy for the SR20?? That thing is the doctor killer of this aviation age. If you really want to spend that kind of cabbage, you can get a REAL nicely equipped 182, which will do a whole lot more.

Found one at a near by airport in excellent condition for being six years old... Plus may use it on a few family trips and it seems more comfortable than a 172. But we will keep looking.

The 182 is MUCH more comfortable than a 172. I like the fact that it's a lot wider than a 172, so you are not always bumping elbows with your seatmate. and you can't beat a IO-470, unless its an IO-520 :p

You may be more than a little surprised at the insurance hit on a Cirrus ! That may convince you to go with a Cessna or Piper instead.

There was an article in Aviation Consumer a year or two ago comparing insurance costs of a (new) 182, SR-20/22, and a Mooney, I think. The Cirrus was, as I recall, 3x the cost of a 182 ! (Cirrus' have a pretty spotty accident record, and the repair costs are astronomical - if you can find a qualified shop to do them.)

Last edited:
The 182 is MUCH more comfortable than a 172. I like the fact that it's a lot wider than a 172, so you are not always bumping elbows with your seatmate. and you can't beat a IO-470, unless its an IO-520 :p

A Cardinal is roomier than a 182, and cheaper to operate.

That is true, and the RG is one sexy lookin machine. It just needs a bigger engine though. ;)

That's true, the 182 is a four fat person airplane, the cardinal is 2 fatties and a skinny.

Latest resources

Back