What kind of plane to purchase?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PhatAJ2008

Looking into purchasing a plane in th near future...
I am probably going to train on it for an instrument and commercial rating. Would you suggest buying an older cessna or piper for under $100k, or an SR20 for $150k. I probably wouldn't use it for much more than training. I assume the maintanance of older aircraft is more, and they also may not keep their value like a newer aircraft.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

A 172 in good ahape is hard to beat. You don't anything fancy for a trainer, just reliable easy to fly airplane.

A 172 in good ahape is hard to beat. You don't anything fancy for a trainer, just reliable easy to fly airplane.

Or a Piper Warrior if you prefer the wing on the bottom.

By and large renting airplanes sucks big time.

If you can find a parter or two that you get along with then shared ownership is the best way to go if money or time are considerations for you.

"an instrument and commercial rating"

If I recall correctly you need a 'complex' retractable gear airplane to get your commercial. But it's only a few hours, so rent that.

You don't want a retract for your first airplane based on what you've posted here.

Start simple.
A quality C-172 is a good start.
If you need to upgrade to a nicer and/or more
complex aircraft in the future, the depreciation
of the 172 will be minimal.

CE

Got a question for ya, And I don't by any means mean to come off like an @$$hat, by why the stiffy for the SR20?? That thing is the doctor killer of this aviation age. If you really want to spend that kind of cabbage, you can get a REAL nicely equipped 182, which will do a whole lot more.

I don't know your experience level, but obviously still training which means a Cirrus is too much airplane for you. Too many people with more money than hours buy them and then ball them up. Stick with a 172 around 50-60k, fly it, then sell it. You will not lose too much on the value as long as you take care of it. Just think of a 10% depreciation on 60 grand as opposed to 150 grand it still makes sense.

Agreed ^^^^

If not C-172, then PA-28 series (I love the Dakota)
or take the high road and buy a nicely equipped
Husky (I love that plane).

Just remember to research the price of annuals for
each. Keep in mind that constant speed props and
retractable gear usually cost an extra $2000 or more
on an inspection.
(I'm being conservative)

CE

Latest resources

Back