What is wrong with PHL airport?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bgaviator

I work for a US Airways Express carrier as a dispatcher, and I am curious to know why PHL can't handle any kind of anything without going on some lengthy flow control program that ends up delaying and cancelling our flights all of the time? The weather wasn't bad at all there today, yet they went on a lengthy program and we ended up once again screwing pax. ORD and ATL seem to be able to handle much worse weather, yet PHL can't handle a 10 knot wind, or a celing below 2,000 ft? Curious mind wants to know, thanks.

Too many soft pretzels, cheese steaks and roast beef sandwiches.
(I miss my home town!)

Maybe it has to do with the volume of traffic and not enough runways?

yeah, looking at the airport diagram, it really doesn't seem set up for the most efficient operations. Kind of strange US Airways would elect to have such a big presence there. Seems like nothing can get done.

Mama's in Bala Cynwyd, Pats, Genos, Jims, Tony Lukes, feel free to add your favorite.
Years ago I have memories of being in PHL approach control.
Controllers were nearly all drinking coffee, smoking ciggies and carving stuff into the wood shelf that was at the base of the radar screens.
Besides the addition of the short jet runway, there really hasn't been much changed in PHL in years. It is landlocked. Only solutions are patience and avoidance.

Kind of strange US Airways would elect to have such a big presence there.

...while leaving PIT to wither. The explanation I heard (unconfirmed) when I worked for one of their wholly-owned carriers was that they prefer PHL because it has some ridiculously high O&D pax numbers. But IDK for sure.

When PHL goes to IFR ops they essentially have only one runway to land on a west operation. On an east operation they can use two runways on occasion utilizing converging ILSs.

When turboprops were abundant in PHL they would accomodate an ILS to 26. Runway 26 doesnt have CAT D approach mins. So with all the CRJS it makes it much worse than before.

The wrench in the spokes is NY Center!

I know the Dash's can get a runway 35 exemption when there are flow programs in effect, when its VFR...but sometimes they don't give them. Plus the ILS 17 is rarely used so that runway is useless unless it's VFR.

It's not Philly per se, it's New York Center.

"Hello, this is New York Center. We regret to inform that SWAP is in effect today."

SWAP = Severe Weather Avoidance Plan

Weather can be perfect in PHL. But if there are thunderstorms to the west, and you're in an aircraft trying to go west, then may God have mercy on your soul.

Latest resources

Back