• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is VT?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stands for Fixed wing heavier than air as in VT-2 or VT-31, Navy guys understand. only kidding

SkyWestCRJPilot said:
Like another said Vt is Vfto on the CRJ. On the speed tape of your PFD (Primary Flight Display) the speeds V1, V2, Vr, and Vfto are marked. But Vfto is too big to place on the speed tape so they just shortened it to Vt. You use this speed only for an engine failure at or after V1. If you have an engine failure at V1 then you climb out at V2 (basically Vxse) till 1000' agl then level off. Accelerate to V2+12 then retract flaps from 20 degrees to 8. Then continue accelerating and just a few seconds later you'll reach V2+20 and you'll retract all your flaps. Continue level and accelerate and in just a few seconds you'll reach Vfto or Vt which is the speed at which you can safely continue to climb out on one engine and bank up to 30 degrees. At any other speed until Vt you can't bank safely more than 15 degrees or else you may stall. On a normal takeoff you don't use Vt (Vfto). To bank up to 30 degrees you just wait till reaching V2+30. Before that speed you have to either keep flaps down at 20 degrees or bank 15 degrees or less. All of this is for a CRJ only.

Our CRJ profiles are a little different.

Stifler's Mom said:
Well, it's a state in the New England area, but that's not important right now.
Vermont!!!
Didn't you guys vote in Howard Dean? That's quite the badge of honor.
YeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

I was worried you contracted some sort of venereal disease from your FA...

Whhew, that was close:p

Velocity-Terminal. As in "How will this approach terminate?" "Uh, VT"

pilotyip said:
Stands for Fixed wing heavier than air as in VT-2 or VT-31, Navy guys understand. only kidding

HEY!!! Thats the very first thing that popped into my mind too!!

I was a DOER BIRD way back in the day........

SkyWestCRJPilot said:
You use this speed only for an engine failure at or after V1. If you have an engine failure at V1 then you climb out at V2 (basically Vxse) till 1000' agl then level off.

That doesn't sound right....

What doesn't sound right about it? I'll also add, at 1000' accelerate, raise flaps, then climb out at Vfto (Vt).

Latest resources

Back