• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

what is the latest at Hawaiian?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just heard of another bid coming out, possibly by next week. 6 Captain slots HNL 767, 2 Captain slots SEA 767, and unknown FO positions. I really don't know if this will include hiring, or if it's just another 'shuffle' like the crew planning department is so fond of. When I hear something, I'll let all of you know.

HAL

Hopefully we hear some good news soon. Some movement in the industry would be a nice change. Especially over there!

What are Hawaiian's typical requirements when they are hiring? How possible (impossible?) is it to get on with them if you have no connections at the company and with Hawaii?

What are Hawaiian's typical requirements when they are hiring? How possible (impossible?) is it to get on with them if you have no connections at the company and with Hawaii?
I'm not positive what the minimums are, although you'll need at least ATP quals since they type everyone in the 767 if you get it, because you need it to be an IRO.

I'm afraid that getting on without a connection is probably next to impossible. We have a total of 400 pilots, and even when we're busy hiring we only bring on a couple of dozen new-hires at at time. Remembering that it is Hawaii where we're based, I think we got around 6 to 7 thousand resumes the last time we announced hiring. That means they have to do something to narrow the field, and having someone already here that can vouch for you and your personality means a lot. Of course flight time and experience count for plenty too, but these days we get piles of resumes from multi-thousand hour ATP's with heavy-jet experience. If we can figure out which ones of those we'd also enjoy spending 12 hours in the cockpit with, we're ahead of the game. And the only way to honestly do that is with recommendations from our pilots that have flown with these people before.

Good luck to all. I'll keep you posted.

HAL

Hal great info. Last time around, the word on the street was that referrals weren't being taken...apparently even if someone mentioned a name, it didn't sound like it would matter. Are things changing again? Back to the original ways of interviewing/hiring?

No, I'm not sure where you heard about the lack of recommendations, but the referrals were taken last time, and were part of the equation on whether or not to interview someone. I talked to our outgoing chief pilot last month and he described how it worked, with a point system being used for ratings, flight time, experience, and recommendations. Everyone hired last year (about 80) had some personal connection to people already here. Admittedly, since many were ex-Aloha, it was easy for them to walk into the CP's office and get themselves known too. But to get on here not only takes a solid resume & flight time, but knowing an HA employee too.

HAL

The question is....

Who will have control of the hiring process AND is the Dr. still gonna be part of the interview? I had 3 friends interview last time around and the Hat Party and the Dr. mental probing were VERY high on the complaint list. Seems that the HR folks got the upper hand, but who knows?

Darn things always get posted when I'm in mid-air.

New vacancy bid out today. 11 new-hires in it with positions in both aircraft. Since some of last-year's new-hires may move up to the 767, I'd guess that most of this round will go to the 717. But none of this is for the upcoming Airbus aircraft either - it's just for retirements and staffing. So I think we're probably still looking at 40+ new-hires later this year.

HAL

Latest resources

Back