Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is Good and Bad of Comair and Mesa?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FalconPilot69

I have interviews for both airlines and was wanting some input from current pilots as to what the good and the bad are. I know pay stinks on both sides, but that aside, anything else?

Thank you.

If Delta goes BK-they may both be on the same certificate. For right now Comair is one of the most high paid regionals. Things might get interesting in the next couple of months.
Comair has better work rules and people are generally happier; but you will get good experience at either, then decide to stay-depending on your base-or move on to the majors if you choose to do so. Mesa is not as bad as one would read.

FalconPilot69 said:
I have interviews for both airlines and was wanting some input from current pilots as to what the good and the bad are. I know pay stinks on both sides, but that aside, anything else?

Thank you.

Pay stinks at both? Have you actually compared the two payscales? Aparantly not. Have you compared work rules? Aparantly not. airlinepilotcentral.com

Given the two choices, most people would choose Comair because of better pay, rules, and qol. If you live near a mesa domicile you may want to go there and avoid a commute.

Press reports are using Delta, and Chapter 7 (liquidation) in the same paragraph. You might want to keep doing whatever you are doing until you can get on with Express Jet (Continental) or perhaps, Eagle, or CHQ. Any deal feeding Delta, or the US Air / Am. West operations is extreemly iffy at the moment.

Hmm...comair has a better pay scale, but if it takes you 10 years to upgrade.....Mesa sucks hard. ...but...seniority moves fast. Regional pay sucks regardless of where you work, If your idea of making money is 60K/ year and being gone for 1/2 the month, than you wont mind being a regional pilot. If you want to get in, pay your dues, and hopefully move on than Mesa is a pretty good choice. I don't know much about Comair except that I paid them money for their strike.

~~~^~~~ said:
Press reports are using Delta, and Chapter 7 (liquidation) in the same paragraph. You might want to keep doing whatever you are doing until you can get on with Express Jet (Continental) or perhaps, Eagle, or CHQ. Any deal feeding Delta, or the US Air / Am. West operations is extreemly iffy at the moment.

Just because you are going to have the same contract for another three years doesn't mean you need to start making stuff up.......not my fault. Yes Delta may file BKCH-11......but CH7? Common.....we have years under CH-11 before CH-7, ask Yonited.

Waco

Wacopilot said:
Just because you are going to have the same contract for another three years doesn't mean you need to start making stuff up.......not my fault. Yes Delta may file BKCH-11......but CH7? Common.....we have years under CH-11 before CH-7, ask Yonited.

Waco
Pick up a copy of the Atlanta Constitution. United was conservative and declared early. Delta through their arrogance believed it could not happen to them and waited far too long (and are still waiting)....

Delta needs fast miracle to stave off bankruptcy

Published on: 08/23/05 Delta Air Lines must complete some daunting tasks in the next few weeks in its last-ditch fight to avoid reorganizing in bankruptcy, said an industry analyst.

In a report, Calyon Securities analyst Ray Neidl said Monday he believes Delta management is in "last-minute" negotiations to avoid Chapter 11.

"We believe that the management of Delta has not given up," he said, but the carrier is running out of time and cash as a result of high fuel costs and the impending slowdown of the summer travel season.

Delta last week reached an agreement to sell its Atlantic Southeast Airlines subsidiary to regional carrier Skywest in a deal that will net about $250 million in cash initially, but Neidl said that won't be enough to avoid Chapter 11. Delta and Skywest expect to complete the sale in 30 to 60 days.

Neidl said Delta also needs to finance $750 million collateral required for an agreement to keep taking bookings by credit card, obtain more employee labor cost cuts, delay about $500 million in debt repayments due later this year and obtain pension relief legislation from Congress.

"We believe that the basic franchise remains strong with a committed management team. However, the balance sheet is broken, and a Chapter 11 filing may be the only way to remedy it," Neidl said.

Industry analysts believe Delta is in talks with lenders, credit card processors and others for another round of concessions similar to last fall, when Delta skirted bankruptcy. Some think that requesting new concessions from pilots and imposing job cuts or other reductions on nonunion employees would be part of such an effort.

Last week the ailing carrier notified its pilots union that cash levels have fallen below a point that could trigger new concessions talks, although the company said no new requests have been made.

•Also: A Delta bankruptcy could have a huge impact on the number of flights serving the U.S. market, said industry consultant Robert W. Mann.

Delta's available cash level is perilously low, even for a carrier contemplating restructuring through federal bankruptcy protection, he noted.

"That could lead to a very radical restructuring under Chapter 11, or, unfortunately, possibly a Chapter 7 liquidation," Mann said.

Either scenario would shrink Delta, the nation's No. 2 carrier in terms of capacity, potentially to a shadow of its former self, helping primarily low-cost AirTran Airways and to a lesser extent, Southwest and American.

If high crude oil prices persist next year and Delta isn't able to lower its costs, the carrier would lose $1.6 billion, according to Airline Forecasts Inc., and would still lose $425 million if crude dropped to $45 a barrel.

Bankruptcy also looms for Northwest Airlines of Eagan, Minn., although so far analysts deem its unprecedented strike-survival operations a success. The carrier has completed nearly all its scheduled flights. The Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association vows to continue picketing.

Northwest has substantially more cash on hand than Delta, but its debt obligations and potential losses from the strike could drain it.

If it consummates its merger with America West, US Airways will shrink marginally by returning some planes to leasing companies, which probably will open doors for Southwest operations in its Philadelphia hub.

Financial analyst Vaughn Cordle of Airline Forecasts projects that if oil remains at $65 per barrel, the merged US Airways will still lose nearly half a billion dollars in 2006.

•Also: Delta said ASA will begin flying Dec. 1 between Atlanta and Bloomington, Ill. — the only AirTran Airways market where Delta didn't already compete. Bloomington is a central Illinois city of about 65,000 where State Farm Insurance and Mitsubishi Motors North America have headquarters.

— Russell Grantham and news services

----------

You can bet your butt some 50 seaters will be parked immediately. If you can hold Captain on the CRJ705, you might be OK, but I do not remember those slots going to new hires.....

Last edited:
exchexflyer - this response is for you!

exchexflyer said:
Pay stinks at both? Have you actually compared the two payscales? Aparantly not. Have you compared work rules? Aparantly not. airlinepilotcentral.com

This is why this board was created! To ask questions to those who might have some useful information. Do I know their payscales? Yes, hence why I stated that pay stinks! However, I do not know their work rules, therefore I will go to airlinepilotcentral.com and learn. Either way, your sarcasm is totally unnecessary, but thank you for the lead on the website! Also, aparantly is spelled "apparently", try www.m-w.com for an online dictionary.

To all else who read this, I apologize for the above statement, I just get tired of people trying to find out information only to get slammed for no reason. To those who have responded in kind, thank you very much for the information.

Falconpilot69

The problem with those 2 companies is that they both suck! Not trying to be rude, impolite...Just being "brutally" honest

Research companies out that "have significant growth"

examples

chautauqua

express jet

Dont really know any more since I want to go the corporate route....not go to the mickey mouse flying club

I hear good things about express jet from friends and I hear good things about chautauqua from all of the press releases of their "new planes" and from friends also

Now if you excuse me, I have to go eat some cheese

Latest resources

Back