What is flying a Lear 23,25,35 like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My personal favorite....

I like the early 24s (aren't they all??) and the 25s w/ the "Learjet Wing"!!

Now, the fuel issue......

Unfortunately AvBug is right -- I was indicating 500k GroundSpeed today and it felt like 325K.....

The lear is similar to a Black tom Cat. Soft to the touch, craves attention, will claw the piss out of you so fast you don't know what hit you!

Lear 24, 500 AGL 450 KIAS and still accelerating.
I have no idea when those Vortex Generators come off!

The lear is like a starved animal that feeds on altitude.

Lear 31A, Surface to 510 in 20 minutes then proceed to demonstrate steep turns! Unbelievable...

The Lear is ATC's excitement on a boring night.

"Lear 123, can you be out of FL290 in less that two minutes?"
"Lear 123, Say altitude"
"Lear 123, your blip has dissappeared from our screen cause you're climbing faster than the computer can track you."

Have fun...

Old Crow said:
Lear 24, 500 AGL 450 KIAS and still accelerating.
I have no idea when those Vortex Generators come off!

Now its been a long times since I have flown a Lear but last time I checked red line was 307 KIAS below 14,000 ft.... and 359 KIAS above 14,000 ft....

Have fun, but fly safe!

You don't need to lose weight to be comfortable in it - you're not going to be too big for a lear at 6' and 240#. When I was flying them I was 6'1" and 260, and they were plenty comfy, except on the SEA - ROC leg with a 36, that was torture. Usually your bladder will hurt a lot more than your legs, so you barely notice. Depending on the configuration of the cabinets behind you, your knees may be pretty close to the panel, but some of the older ones with no cabinet and only a wall have enough room that I had to slide the seat forward a notch or so.

The lear is the neatest airplane I've ever flown, and I miss it a lot. The 24's are the best, 25's without T/R's are pretty good, and the 35's and 36's handle alright but are kind of pigs comparatively speaking.

Lets see, how did that LR 24E checklist go? "Positive rate--gear up, yaw-damper--on, fuel emergency--declare.

Hand flying at 450 is a guaranteed headache within 20 minutes in the little 24.

Speed

FalconCapt.....you're exactly right on the max speed of the 20 series...307 KIAS below 14,000 and 359 KIAS above 14,000. However, once the circuit breaker is pulled it will easily accelerate to 400 KIAS at 500-1000 agl! Makes alot of noise, sucks a ton of gas and pray hard that you don't take a bird to the windshield.

Best climb....Lear31a out of CMH to 10,000 as clock struck 1 min straight above the airport. Departure laughed as they told us to contact center!.

Lear31a 41,000 in 13 minutes is our record. Empty and standard day!

Best descent....13,000 a minute into SAV. Spoilers and MMO/VMO all the way down.

:)

We did one of those descents one time down to 5K I think, the approach controller gave a terrain warning to us.

We replied that everything was under control and he said the computer automatically sets a warning off becuase of the rate of descent, till that point I never knew they had this, but it was a military facility so maybe so.

I enjoy entertaining the controllers....

Let's see... 31 miles out @ FL310 on a VFR day (uh, night) and you can make the runway...(middle of the night, ATC is slow, discretion all the way down). It's great to hear "nice job..."

What else??

We can fly whatever speed is needed into a busy airport and once the local controllers realize we'll oblige, they use us up. (For example, best forward speed, then slow to 190K, then up to 210K, then .......). In exchange we seem to receive great taxi routes!!

I always laugh at a descent to 6000 (or anything below 10000 for that matter) and the controllers keep asking for "best forward." HMMM....one of these days I'm going to ask if they really mean better than 250K :)

I've already asked if they really want best forward. There is a slight pause, and they call back and say "maintain at or below 250". I respond, sounding disappointed "at or below 250...."

:D

Latest resources

Back