What is flying a Lear 23,25,35 like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rumpletumbler

I've wondered about this as these aircraft seem to have so much power. Watching these airplanes depart etc. it seems as if sometimes the pax would be uncomfortable unless the thrill seeker type. I think it would be neat to try if/when I get enough time to qualify. I'm 6' 240lbs as well. Would I be comfortable in the front of one of these aircraft?

RT

I have flown them all, imagine putting a Roman candle between your legs and and going for a ride. Something like that.......you do need to loose some weight if you are going to be comfortable in it though.

My best Time to Climb was in a Lear 35a... Took off heading north (600 MSL), did a left Chandelle and crossed the southern boundry of the airport at 18,000 ft doing 250 kias. Elapsed time 1 minute 58 seconds! We were light (no pax and only 3,500 lbs of fuel) and it was cold out.

so did you key the mike and say "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!" or anything like that or did you just let the moment slip away?

RT

The learjet series are such smooth and simple flying airplanes that the speed effect is sort of lost. Unless you look at the instrumentation to tell you how fast you're going forward and up/down, you could be sitting in a cramped 172. If it's flown properly, there's no real sensation of speed or rate of climb.

If a thrill means seeing a number on the instruments, then I guess it's a thrill. Otherwise, it's just a well built, soul-less ride.

The nice thing about the airplane is that it has simple systems, and is very straightforward. It flies honestly, has no surprises, and glides great .:D !

You're not too big for the airplane, though you'd be comfortable as a smaller person. I've flown with people over six feet tall, who all but had their kneecaps against their shoulderblades (slight exageration, but you get the point), and with a pilot who was almost 300 lbs. I'm 5'9 and 145 lbs, and I'm the only one yet I've seen who has to move the seat forward or raise it up. (Terminal shortness is hell)

I can't seem to find "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!" in the AIM, but I have come very close to saying it.

When we had Shaquile in one of our planes, he insisted that we request a max performance climb, and ATC gave us a little leash, all within the regs, mind you.

Yes, that one.

rumpletumbler said:
so did you key the mike and say "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA!" or anything like that or did you just let the moment slip away?

RT

Actually Departure said "YEEEEHHHAAAA, **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** you guys are climbing fast today!"

My favorite "rapid altitude change" was in a Falcon 50EX coming back from the east coast late at night, the sector was very quiet and we were at FL430... Center left us up there long (we promised an expedicious decent in return for the favor).... He cleared us to 10,000ft, we asked if anyone was below us anywhere along our flight path he said it is clear below.... and down we went at better than 18,000 FPM, power to idle, speed brakes fully deployed and nosed over to redline (M0.86 to 370 Kias)... Obviously we were empty... and my co-pilot was my old college roommate... That was a fun ride!

Avbug,

You are to cool my friend! I can see you in a thunderstorm with a master warning and I look over and your putting all the fires out and working the times crossword puzzle with your good hand.

All in fun. I enjoy reading your posts!

RT

Heres whats fun, 2 guys in a Lear25 in the middle of the night hualing checks.

We took of one night with about 3800lbs of gas and about 400lbs of checks. Are clearance was to 10K right of the runway and we knew we were going to get a turn basically 180 degrees from runway heading so we went for a high rate of climb at about 250kts. When we contacted departure he gave us FL240 I think with are heading we were expecting, well with one to go we had the airport under the left wing slightly behind us. YIPPEE!

But like Avbug said, to fly the Lear is like flying a 172 but much smoother, and ohh yea, it dont do much for your ego when your asked to fly 15 degrees off the airway at FL370 so an MD11 can get by doing .86 or whatever and your only doing .80-.81.

Thats when you feel like a Citation, just kidding guys, I couldnt resist.

Rumple,

Why put the fires out? Whatchagonna see to read by?

I hate to disappoint, but I've never finished a times crossword (what's eight across and has six legs?), and my good hand has arthritus...punching too many hard objects.

Right back at ya.

;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back