Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

what is considered "good" salary/benefits?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
I know this is very subjective, but looking for comments on what everyone considers a "sh1t, I am making good salary" type wages and benefits. This could be finished with "I am staying till retirement. No more resumes, no more Kit Darby. This is it till I retire."

Throw out LA, New York, San Fran and assume you live in non-high cost of living area.

For me, 100K a year, with 401(k), medical plan, and retirement plan (age 50) makes me happy. However I will never be a B-777 pilot at our flight department.
Oh well....

How about everyone else?

:)

** I got to thinking about this subject due to the obvious changes to the "airline career" that alot of us dreamed about. Someone told me that you need to be at US Air at least 17 years to have been not laid off yet. Jesus freaking christ.

Just curious how many of us have re-defined the "dream job"...I know I have.

later

Last edited:
It hurts a lot more to have it, then lose it. I think that's what causes the bitterness we see on this board. We've seen what it used to be, what it could be, and watching a great profesion turn to shiite before your eyes is quite painful.

Enough flying, and the equipment becomes irrelevent, IMO. Guys pursue pay/schedule. If they paid more on a Saab than a 777, I'd fly the Saab. A while back, there was a bit of movement to rearrange pay based upon Seniority + seat, which would allow the poor 59 yr old fellow to fly narrowbody domestic if that's what he wanted rather than getting flogged across 14 time zones doing Tokyo.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think it's very subjective. Take me back pre 9/11 and I'd be ecstatic, not only for the pay and schedule but just the thought of being able to take a whiz without congressional oversight is a fond dream.

A wise Capt once told me no matter how much you're paid, you'll find ways to spend it, and pretty soon your possessions own you rather than visa-versa. I think he's right. There's a lot to be said for a simple lifestyle.

For me, 100K a year, with 401(k), medical plan, and retirement plan (age 50) makes me happy

In a reasonable area to live and a stable job, nothing wrong with the above!!

Im sure everyone has a diffrent answer..

.some want to fly domestic in a 737 for thier careers doing 37 legs a day (Southwest), some want to fly piston twins around the islands and play Jimmy Buffett, some want to fly junk around Alaska in some of the nastiest conditions in aviation (these guys are fuked up!), some to hub and spoke it and be home every night, some want to fly once a month 10 day trip all over the planet....

I think above all, pilots want to have fun and get just a little bit of respect and a decent salary....

sadly this is very rare anymore and hence the $hitty attitudes in aviation.

One thing to think about is what your college clasmates are making. My job as a major capt doesn't come close.Sales guys are making 250 plus.Sister at big corp in marketing 300.Long time contractor friend does 325.If I added in the lawyers and dr's it would make every body sick.We need to make sure we are paid with and keep up with the rest of the hi end W2 population.Its up to the younger guys to keep the pressure on these airlines large and small.At a min a jet cap. should make 130 yr.

What makes YOU happy

I took a check ride from a line guy who had just turned 60 a day or so before the ride, this was in the early 80's. I ask him if he had any regrets, thinking he would miss pushing around the heavy iron. He said yes he had some regrets, he regretted not being there when his son hit his first home run. He regretted not being there when his daughter went to her first prom. He regretted not being there when his first grand child was born. These boys and girls are what the important things in life are all about. He told me he was going to take his grand kid and teach him how to fish.

In the ensueing years I have attempted to teach my new FOs' this
1. How much money did you put in the bank at the end of the month?
2. How many nights did you get to sleep with the person you REALLY wanted to sleep with?
3. What will happen if and when you should bust a medical or reach 60?

Don't matter what kind of plane you fly, where you fly it too or how much status you may thank you have, just go back to the 3 items above.

Back to the original question, how do they fit into the three items? If you are happy with never being a 777 Capt with a major and you have the life you need to fullfill the inner you, then live long and prosper.

Peace brother

my take on this....

One thing to think about is what your college clasmates are making. My job as a major capt doesn't come close.Sales guys are making 250 plus.Sister at big corp in marketing 300.Long time contractor friend does 325.If I added in the lawyers and dr's it would make every body sick.We need to make sure we are paid with and keep up with the rest of the hi end W2 population
not being sarcastic (really, this is a real point I am trying to make...) but if we all wanted to make what doctors, lawyers, and Fortune 500 companies, maybe we should have gone to medical school, law school, or MBA school and not pilot school.

Yes, I know a 747 Captain "controls" 200 passengers lives with his decisions and all that stuff, believe me, I hear you loud and clear, plus every 6 months he gets sim check, medical ,etc. Trust me, I hear you.

However the end-of-the-day-reality is that if we all wanted to make what cardiac surgeons made, well, we might have instead gone to cardiac surgeon school.

On the other end of the spectrum, should FO's at regionals make 17K a year? Of course fu**ing not!

Anyway, I think you see my point, from a choose-your-career type perspective.

Trying to keep this thread on topic

Basic question is "how much is enough" to include salary, benefits, off-duty life, etc.

later

Last edited:
I think your first post was very close Satpack. For me the answer would be enough to buy a nice house in a middle class neighborhood, have two cars, be able to send my children to college, take one nice vacation per year, and then retire at age 60 without having to worry about money or health insurance.

Typhoonpilot

100K?!?!?

Heck, I'd be happy with 18K a year if I get to fly a jet!

cynic said:
100K?!?!?

Heck, I'd be happy with 18K a year if I get to fly a jet!
that about sums up why many pilots will be under paid. no one needs to earn a fortune but flying a jet deserves more than 18k.

Last edited:
Just don't underestamate your worth guys.Teachers are paid enought but is that what you really want? And big airplane pilots are paid more not because of more people.Its more money coming in for the operator.Kind of like sales people getting a bigger cut.Has nothing to do with Dr's or lawyers.I'm just about done as 60 is coming soon.Take it as free advice.

Latest resources

Back