What is a spin like??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spins

I agree, the nose pointing at the ground with it turning before your very eyes is unnerving. But, it is good training. Cross-control stalls are also good training. I used to give cross-control stalls to my students. Accelerated stalls, too.

Your instructor is doing the right thing by you by introducing you to spins. Some major flight schools, such as FSI, incorporate spins and unusual attitudes training in their Commercial course.

I recall from my readings that spins were part of the Private training until something like the forties or fifties. Then, the FAA pulled spin training out of the Private syllabus for the reasons mentioned and went to stall awareness training.

Oil Can

Ever see Maple tree seeds in the fall? As kids we used to call these "helicopter" seeds - there's a seed pod at one end with a feather or backbone attached. The wind would blow and all these seeds came floating (spinning) down.

Think of yourself sitting in the seed pod and you have a pretty good idea of what a spin looks like from inside and outside.

My instructor said the feeling is like a parachute jump but you keep the airplane attached to your butt. It probably is the most agressive maneuver that a "shiney side up pilot" will feel but it is most fun and definitely is a confidence booster. Enjoy the ride - stalls will get very boring after this.

I think spin training should be part of the private pilot program. I had a student put me in a spin with full power and full flaps, he promptly let go of the controls and grabbed me and screamed like a little girl. The first problem was that I wasn't watching him close enough and the second was he grabbed my arms. The third was he was 230 lbs and six foot three and wouldn't let go of my arms, so I could recover. Its a long story leading up to how he configured the airplane with full power and full flaps. The short story is half of my hair fell out shortly there after.
Goodluck
FD

spins

Just ensure that your instructor tells you before he puts you in the spin. When I was getting a CFI add on, the instructor had me demonstrate a stall in a 152. Just prior to the stall he kicked the pedals, felt like we flipped over, and all I saw was earth. Scared the crap out of me. I quickly recovered (about half of a turn) and proceded to verbally abuse him. After he got done laughing, he said that one wouldn't count as we had to go around three complete turns. The second one went much better. He did admire the quick recovery though. I can laugh about it now, but it sure wasn't funny back then.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm glad your instructor will do spin training. As a CFI all my students did spin training as part of thier PPL. My CFI students got unintentional spins whenever it was safe even under the hood! They hated me! By the time we got back on the ground not a gyro in the ship worked......come to think of it the mechanics always new when I had a CFI student.

Spinning is most fun you can have in a plane with your pants on! And without a parachute.

Make sure the FAA doesn't see you all out there teaching spins to private applicants, good idea or not...unless you take the chute. Anyone ever jump out of a plane in a spin? Seems like it would be rather tough for the inside pilot. My 2 cents...some private students may benefit, some may have the life scared out of them and never show up for another lesson. Take their confidence level and personality into account as well as your experience level as a CFI doing spins.

Also, don't most stall/spin accidents happen at low level? Good luck recovering from a base to final spin before hitting the ground...especially if you're a 20 hr wonder that has seen a spin demonstrated once. I think you'd be better off to learn to keep the airspeed up and the ball centered which IS taught to private pilots. Anyone who accidentally spins a 152 is not doing too well to begin with.

The next thing after my tailwheel endorcement, I went looking for some aerobatic training. I found a guy with a decathlon that was more than glad to take me out and let me scare the crap out of myself. I loved it, and he sure taught me a lot. I will forever cherish it.

I'm really not sure spin training should be a part of the PPL for reasons mentioned. I do think all private, or at least commercial students should have some limited aerobatic training. Sure would be nice if flight schools would offer maybe a citabria for tailwheel transition and unusual attitude training. I owned a maule a few years afterwards, and one day I got myself into a situation where without that training, I would have busted my butt. So money well spent I say.

I LOVE TAIL DRAGGERS...MORE THAN THAT...I LOVE CROP DUSTERS...YAHOO!!!!

Latest resources

Back