• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is 7 on 7 off really like?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey NJ guys. During a 7 day tour what kind of rest do you normally(if there is such a thing) get. I know it is 10 hours minimum but do you have time at a layover to go see the sites. I am a 121 guy and I enjoy getting out and seeing things such as the beach or sites at a good layover. Do they ever allow say a 24 hour layover at places or is it normally 10 hours or a little more?? Thanks

It happens. You have to understand that our schedule is SOOOO dynamic that you never really know. There are tours where you get 10 hour turns every night, and there are tours where you get 1 or 2 revenue legs in a week. I spent 5 days in TOL last tour. You never know.

Out of curiosity, what time do you normally get home on the last day?

Like everything else in this business, it varies. :D

I just pulled a duty report off our computer system, and looked at my last-day release times for the past few months:

8:35pm
2:18pm following day (snowed in)
12:49am
1:31pm
1: 08pm
4:44pm
5:18pm
6: 05pm
2:41pm
5:24pm

... and so on. Of course, up until the new bases opened up, all of these were followed by several hours on the highway. ;)

Now that the penalty for getting us home late has gone up substantially, they seem less apt to risk running us right up to close to midnight, or right up near 14 hours of duty, unless it's specifically to cover a revenue flight on that last morning.

My usual last-day routine is to fly one short-to-medium leg in the morning, then airline home. Haven't had a pure travel day on the last day in several months.

My last three tours have ended with nothing but travel home. I was in my door at home no later than 1300. One of them I walked in the door before 1000.

Most times I get home to my base between 9pm and midnight. Only twice in the last year have I got home during daylight hours. I've also had 4 after midnights .

Latest resources

Back