• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What if Capt. Sully was at a regional?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Last I heard, an AD has been issued, and all geese have been grounded, pending inspection of wings...

I think the only reason Sully got the praise he got was because the media found out his name and website; saw his background consisting as a former fighter pilot, having assisted the NTSB in accident investigations, has his own company involving aviation safety and his picture that showed a grey mustached old man who had that air of wisdom and experience. It just wouldn't have the same public effect if it was some young guy who looks like they barely reached pubity. I know this may get me in trouble now, but I bet if it was some young regional chick Captain that saved the day, you bet she'd be made into a star too.

Granted the outcome was completely opposite, but the only other accident where I can remember the pilot getting their picture on the news so fast was the Mesa Beech in Charlotte.

A regional pilot would have probably been called lucky, then stories would have been done to highlight the dangers of regional airplanes. This would most definately been true had a turboprop been involved.

A Dash's propellors woulda chopped em up into goose salad and it woulda kept on truckin.

In a SAAB you would have plucked it out of the birdcatcher and be set for a Christmas goose dinner.

Oh and UAREFLYINGME?!...Well done.

Actually, whether he was a mainline pilot or a regional pilot, his experience and professionalism counted in the matters pertaining to both the successful ditching and how he managed the attention brought upon him after the event. His experience was a composite of military training, his airline training, his interest and exposure to safety issues through his volunteer work with ALPA in addition to his professional business activites, and his personal demeanor. With alot of luck and his and his fellow crewmember's actions, there were no fatalities resulting in an outcome of a crisis that could not have culminated in better circumstances.

Listen to his comments made at his hometown celebration on National News. It was refreshing to have this type of reporting made regarding our Profession as opposed to the case of another pilot caught going through security under the influence. He made me and others proud to be an Airline Pilot--irregardless of the number of seats or the size of the airplane we fly!

Why does anyone need to develop hypotheticals that create meaningless debate and dialogue that diminish the outcome in this miracle? This man is the consummate Professional Pilot. Maybe, as his peers and fellow Professionals, our time would be better spent in striving to achieve the same level of Professionalism and humbleness that he has exhibited!

Last edited:
Actually, whether he was a mainline pilot or a regional pilot, his experience and professionalism counted in the matters pertaining to both the successful ditching and how he managed the attention brought upon him after the event. His experience was a composite of military training, his airline training, his interest and exposure to safety issues through his volunteer work with ALPA in addition to his professional business activites, and his personal demeanor. With alot of luck and his and his fellow crewmember's actions, there were no fatalities resulting in an outcome of a crisis that could not have culminated in better circumstances.

Listen to his comments made at his hometown celebration on National News. It was refreshing to have this type of reporting made regarding our Profession as opposed to the case of another pilot caught going through security under the influence. He made me and others proud to be an Airline Pilot--irregardless of the number of seats or the size of the airplane we fly!

Why does anyone need to develop hypotheticals that create meaningless debate and dialogue that diminish the outcome in this miracle? This man is the consummate Professional Pilot. Maybe, as his peers and fellow Professionals, our time would be better spent in striving to achieve the same level of Professionalism and humbleness that he has exhibited!

Well said. In answer to your question. I think it's called an inferiority complex.

Well said. In answer to your question. I think it's called an inferiority complex.

Speedtape makes some excellent points, but there's no denying that if you don't have gray hair and fly a Boeing or an Airbus, your own grandmother is afraid to fly with you, and everyone wants to know when you're going to fly for a real airline. No matter how professionally you behave. I think a majority of us have Capt Sully's professionalism, but that's just the way it is.

Latest resources

Back